Re: Newbury Bypass

"NEWMAN, Martin" <[log in to unmask]>

NEWMAN, Martin

Mon, 2 Feb 2009 09:49:44 -0000

We have some good photos of road protestor's camps here at the NMR that
were taken by one of the RCHME photographers.

Martin

Martin C Newman BSc, MIfA
Datasets Development Manager
National Monuments Record
English Heritage
Kemble Drive
Swindon
SN2 2GZ

01793 414718

From: Discussion List for Contemporary and Historical Archaeology
[mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of pmgb
Sent: 31 January 2009 16:42
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [CHA] Newbury Bypass

Having intended to do this some years back, I'm finally starting to look

at the archaeology of protest around the consruction of the A34 Newbury
Bypass (c.a.1995-1998). Apart from its general importance as, arguably,
the apogee of the anti roads movement in Britain, some may remember that

this campaign was unusual in that it included a protest meeting of
archaeologists held at Donnington castle in March 1996. If my memory
serves me correctly, the speakers included John Barrett, Julian Thomas
and Ronald Hutton (and somewhere way down the billing, myself). I do
have some pictures that someone gave me when I originally started this
project (in 2004), but I've forgotten who gave them to me! I'd be
pleased to hear from anyone who was there, or indeed if you know anyone
who was but isn't on the chat list please forward this to likely
candidates.

Equally if there's anyone you think I might talk to about this topic,
I'd be glad to get any suggestions.

Many thanks

Paul Graves-Brown

Visit the CHAT website for more information and for future meeting
dates:
http://www.contemp-hist-arch.ac.uk

Concerned about how climate change may affect older properties? What about saving energy?
Visit our new website www.climatechangeandyourhome.org.uk today.

This e-mail (and any attachments) is confidential and may contain personal views which are not the
views of English Heritage unless specifically stated. If you have received it in error, please delete it
from your system and notify the sender immediately. Do not use, copy or disclose the information in
any way nor act in reliance on it. Any information sent to English Heritage may become publicly available.