Re: Disclosure

John Conway <[log in to unmask]>

Discussion list for disabled students and their support staff.

Mon, 12 Jan 2009 19:28:20 -0000

surely no evidence of need = no need?  aren't we supposed to meet their needs not their wants?
we've gone electronic to avoid the morass of text sizes, fonts and coloured paper needed, leaving it up to the student to choose for themselves when they print / save.

john

________________________________

From: Discussion list for disabled students and their support staff. on behalf of Peter Hill
Sent: Mon 12/01/2009 18:27
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Disclosure

Hi

I can't help with this one - but I have a related query.  (I hope Wendy won't mind my hijacking her thread!)

 A lecturer friend relayed the following:

A student claims to have a disability (dexterity difficulties) and has asked for course materials and lecture notes to be provided in paper format. Although resources are provided electronically, the student claims not to be able to use a keyboard - so can't print them off himself, even though he can apparently write by hand.  The real issue lies in the fact that the student has not provided any evidence of a disability and he steadfastly refuses to have any contact with student support services.  This is obviously proving tricky for the lecturer who would like to know exactly what her obligations are.

Any advice gratefully received.

Regards

Peter Hill

Wendy Knowles (W.Knowles) wrote:

	Hi to everyone

	Can I ask what your policy is at your own institution as regards disclosure of a disability? Do you view initial disclosure (eg on the UCAS form) as full disclosure to the University or do you ask students to complete any additional paperwork once they have a definite place? If so, what exactly do they complete and who completes this with them?

	Here at York St John we ask all students to fill in a disclosure form before we forward on information to relevant departments. Do you feel this is necessary?

	Very grateful for all responses

	Best wishes

	wendy

	Wendy Knowles

	Disability Service Manager

	York St John University

	Tel: 01904 876541

	Fax: 01904 612512

	Web: www.yorksj.ac.uk <http://www.yorksj.ac.uk/>

	Please note that this email contains the views and opinions of the sender and not necessarily those of the institution unless otherwise stated.

	In the interests of the environment please do not print this email on paper unless necessary

--

Peter J Hill

Tel: 01905 391 547
Mobile: 07751 792711