RADIOTHERAPYDATASET@JISCMAIL.AC.UK

RADIOTHERAPYDATASET Home

RADIOTHERAPYDATASET  December 2008

RADIOTHERAPYDATASET December 2008

Re: OPCS CODES

Helen Forbes <[log in to unmask]>

The National Radiotherapy Dataset Discussion Group <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 8 Dec 2008 14:12:04 -0000

Just to clarify the situation surrounding the OPCS codes.

The advice from NATCANSAT and the RTDS steering group is to use OPCS
v4.5 for your radiotherapy from now unless you are submitting your data
for commissioning purposes in this financial year.

The current version is 4.4. The new version is 4.5 which is officially
to be implemented from 1st April 2009.

If you will be submitting your Out-patient commissioning dataset (OPCDS)
for commissioning purposes between now and 31st March, then you must
continue to use version 4.4 for that.

However, if you are implementing the use of the codes for RTDS, and your
information people are happy that you do not commence submission of the
OPCDS through them before 1st April 2009 then it would be preferable to
use the new codes for the following reasons:

1: it will avoid the confusion of implementing v4.4 codes now, and then
having to change to v4.5 in a few months.
2: it will supply good data which might be available for the costing
exercises being undertaken at some centres.

Please do not hesitate to contact me directly, or via this list with any
queries.

Thanks

Helen Forbes
Clinical Information Manager
National Cancer Services Analysis Team
Clatterbridge Centre for Oncology NHS Trust
Clatterbridge Road
Bebington
Wirral
CH63 4JY