RADIOTHERAPYDATASET@JISCMAIL.AC.UK

RADIOTHERAPYDATASET Home

RADIOTHERAPYDATASET  December 2008

RADIOTHERAPYDATASET December 2008

Re: ICD-10 chest wall

Helen Forbes <[log in to unmask]>

The National Radiotherapy Dataset Discussion Group <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 1 Dec 2008 11:08:18 -0000

Stephen,

I have sent this message to the superlist as I think that it is not
specific to Aria.

I assume that you are referring to post-mastectomy radiotherapy for
breast cancer, and that the two treatments you refer to are post
conservative surgery versus post mastectomy surgery.

If my assumption is incorrect then you should ignore the rest of the
answer which would be rubbish....

The dataset is not designed to distinguish between these treatments any
more than it is between standalone/post-op therapy in any other tumour
(eg: bladder or prostate).

The correct coding would be to use C50* for the diagnosis code, P or PR
for the treatment region, and leave the anatomical site blank.

Of course the surgery will be coded against the hospital admission for
surgery, so it would be possible to carry out analyses of radiotherapy
in patients who have had conservative vs non-conservative surgery if
appropriate.

Helen Forbes
Clinical Information Manager
National Cancer Services Analysis Team
Clatterbridge Centre for Oncology NHS Trust
Clatterbridge Road
Bebington
Wirral
CH63 4JY