Re: Inventing Research Methods

Ken Friedman <[log in to unmask]>

Sun, 14 Dec 2008 01:33:11 +0000

Friends,

This is a very short note to correct an unbelievably clumsy sentence in my
last post. I wrote:

"I won't tell the story in any detail, or everyone will know who it is I am
describing, but I will say that the student was both a fully qualified
designer and craft maker as well as a promising researcher, and thus infer
both the student and the dismally bad supervisor."

I should have written,

"I won't tell the story in any detail, or everyone will know who it is I am
describing to infer the identities of both the student and the dismally bad
supervisor. I will say that the student was a fully qualified designer and
craft maker as well as a promising researcher."

You are not alone if you found yourself scratching your head over that
sentence to ask, "What does this mean?" I, too, wondered what I meant with
the third worst sentence I have ever written.

Yours,

Ken