DC-RDA  December 2008

DC-RDA December 2008

Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Log In

Get Password

Re: RDA/FRBR relationships and identifiers

Karen Coyle <[log in to unmask]>

List for discussion on Resource Description and Access (RDA)

Thu, 11 Dec 2008 05:55:36 -0800

text/plain

Alistair, in RDA the relationships between works, expressions,
manifestations are defined in terms of access points. The access
points act as identifiers for those FRBR entities. So that's what we
are trying to mimic, in part to see if it works.

LC permalinks identify the MARC record in the LC file. Those are fine,
but there are many many bibliographic records that aren't in the LC
file. (Plus, the MARC record today is a mix of FRBR levels, but that's
another issue.) Basically, we're talking about the same data appearing
in thousands of library systems and no central source of identifiers.
Any library database can have its internal identifiers, but if we want
to share data, we need an identifier that has meaning outside of an
individual system.

If the access point works as an identifier in this way, then what we
need is "permalinks" that represent those access points. In many
(most? all?) cases, that would be the identifier for the authority
record for the access point, IF we had a shared pool of those. These
access points would indeed represent the work or expression.

It's actually quite brilliant. The access points are derived from the
item itself, so there's some chance that two catalogers describing the
same work would come up with the same access point independently. Then
if those access points had URI identifiers, you'd be on your way to
RDF data.

kc

--
--  ---