PERFORMSOCSCI  December 2008

PERFORMSOCSCI December 2008

Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Log In

Get Password

Re: PSS list: background and purpose of the list

Ruth Thompson <[log in to unmask]>

Performative Social Science <[log in to unmask]>, Ruth Thompson <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 3 Dec 2008 11:41:00 +1100

text/plain

Dear Kip, Kim and others,

Firstly, thanks for this list, which I find a valuable link to ideas,
articles, journals and just people working and thinking in realms
somewhat different from my own - although similar enough to tweak  my
own horizons.

I stumbled across you while researching my PhD which was concerned
with linking the process, practice and performance of theatre with
the building of social capital.  I work in the Theatre Studies
discipline in a small regional university based in Armidale, northern
NSW, Australia (The University of New England).  Prior to this
existence I worked in community arts development and theatre as well
as spending many years teaching drama to people with disabilities.

Living and working in regional Australia gives added impetus to my
strongly held belief that both the process and practice of  the arts
have an important role to play in the performance of sustainable
communities.

Maybe those of us in the Antipodes need to be more assertive in our
postings of events, journals, etc of interest to ourselves and not
assume that these will have a lack of relevance elsewhere.

Best regards
Ruth

--
Ruth Thompson