Re: Bio

Kristina Höök <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 4 Dec 2008 18:25:04 +0100

In fact, in our work, we try to implement what we name an
interactional approach to emotion in human-machine interaction. An
interactional approach to design:

1. Recognizes affect as an embodied social, bodily and cultural product
2. Relies on and supports interpretive flexibility
3. Is non-reductionist
4. Supports an expanded range of communication acts
5. Focuses on people using systems to experience and understand emotions
6. Designs systems that stimulate reflection on and awareness of affect

(see academic papers on this by Höök et al.,2008 or Boehner et al.
2005).

That is we are not tring to make machines that interpret, but to
reflect data back to users so that they can make their own stories or
dreams about themselves. And we are not only showing biodata but also
other kinds of data, putting together for a collage of scraps and bits
of your life - but as a user you have to create the story that joins
all those parts. It is not the system that does this.

But my question was perhaps more to do with how our culture has
enforced a dualistic point of view for centuries and how this has,
perhaps, been internalised with our own understanding of our selves so
strongly that anything the "measures" some aspect of your body is
something that we will immideately use to look at our bodies as
objects or machines? Is it possible to design something that bridges
that gap and makes people see themselves a wholes?

Kia

> This seems to me to be an important question, but once again should
> we not first be asking whether it is possible to map this data so
> that it represents emotion? It strikes me that we often take time to
> work out the emotions that we are experiencing ourselves, why is it
> that a series of data streams looking at things such as heart rate
> and galvanic skin response should reveal these things more quickly?
> I don't know if there was ever a robotic psychoanalyst in a Woody
> Allen movie but this seems to me what is being suggested here.
> Emotions alter qualitatively and wrap themselves around things and
> each other, emotion can colour a day and make me view the world
> differently. There also seems to be an assumption of a teleological
> trajectory here, emotion affects bio function, which can be mapped
> via its data. I have days when things such as my health affects my
> mood, here we might claim emotion 'maps' physiology....

Kristina Höök

Professor at Stockholm University
Lab manager at SICS
Leads Mobile Life center: www.mobile-life.org