NEW-MEDIA-CURATING  December 2008

NEW-MEDIA-CURATING December 2008

Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Log In

Get Password

Re: Neural 15th anniversary: issue #31 + joint action with S.W.A.M.P.

Alessandro Ludovico <[log in to unmask]>

Alessandro Ludovico <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 17 Dec 2008 13:03:44 +0100

text/plain

Dear Beryl and list,

At 11:37 +0000 17/12/08, Beryl Graham wrote:
>Dear NEW-MEDIA-CURATING list member,
>
>This is our standard 'gentle reminder' that the guidelines for this
>discussion list include the request for postings directly relating to
>the discussion of new media art CURATING in particular, so please do not
>include this List email on any more general news mailings about
>exhibitions and events etc. (even if they are new media).
>
>Please do continue to participate in the discussion,

I'm so sorry about that and I usually don't use the list to make mere
announcement (actually I wrongly thought there was a moderation for
filtering unwanted announcements) but to enjoy and, unfortunately
rarely, participate to the always interesting discussions.

Nevertheless I made a big mistake missing a few words for introducing
a project that would have been posted here just for the sake of
starting a discussion about how paper is involved in new media
tactics and how its role and nature has changed since the pervasive
introduction of electronic networks.

This is an essay I wrote an year ago on this topic that hopefully
will balance the mere announcement.

The persistance of paper.

Paper publishing will never be the same again. It is deeply affected
by a dual contradictory need. On one hand, real-time updating is
pervading the printed page space with various technologies, and on
the opposite, the need for something reliable and not dependent on
the lack of tcp/ip waves or electricity is more and more precious for
a generation stuck for most part of the day close to their unstable
laptops. Various disembodiment of paper is practiced on the net and
in connected devices, but the immobility (so the reassuring
stability) of the printed page is on the other end growing and
finding new customized way of production and consumption. Cellulose
and electricity are not married, yet, but their vital relationship
can still be taken as an opportunity for a new independent pervasive
publishing wave.

The persistance of paper, how pixel want to be stable
Announced over and over from the end of nineties there's a
perpetually upcoming technology that pretends, sooner or later, to
substitute the paper. It's the so called 'electronic paper',
'e-paper,' or 'electronic ink', a special kind of display made not by
pixels and light, but by electrically charged micro-balls (a sort of
pixels if you want) that can turn black or white. This kind of
hardware is still an alien object. Usually it's a paperback sized
display with a stylus to interact and display texts uploaded in
various ways (via wireless networks, ethernet cable, smart media).
I've had the chance, by accident, to personally check the iLiad, one
of the few devices of this kind already for sale. After playing a
little bit with the interface, the turning bar that 'turns' the page,
and the display, my feeling was to be in front of book-sized screen
palmtop much worst than a laptop, and worst than a paper book or
magazine also. Even if it'll be much better when the technology will
evolve, presently it seems more another 'wannabe' paper in electronic
guise, than the future of paper itself. Some qualities are that it's
quite stable and document-devoted, and this specific model runs on
Linux, so seem to be the most stable of them all. But, I'd still
prefer much to spend 600 euro in a bookstore than buying this gizmo.
Electronic paper has a lot to do with space. One of its few
challenging promises is to reduce the space in your bookshelf. But,
what's the price of this 'promise'? To me it's similar to the never
realized 'paperless' office, advertised from the eighties by the
personal computer industry. Something magic that simply won't happen
safely. It's a promise of virtualization, disembodiment of a heavy
physicality, you'd like to reduce to have more. And this thrills to
own more and more content, because digitally then it's easy to copy,
share or simply store. This is one of the arguments behind the Amazon
Noir project I've developed with Ubermorgen and Paolo Cirio. Paolo
Cirio coded a software that stressed to the extreme limits the
'search inside the book' Amazon.com feature, being able to obtain all
the text though thousands of queries and then reconstructing the
whole searched book. This is the actualization of all the parts of
the book that can be searched. It's the 'imagined book' made real, so
the virtual bulimic appetite for texts satisfied, in the end. But, no
digital hardware or culture will save us from the weight of real
books and things, the 'reality showdown'. Again, paper is more
persistent.

The web space of magazines, turning pages with the mouse
Paper publishing has started to wonder itself what to do with the web
from the very beginning. Probably the independent publishers even
before than the industry as a cover of Factsheet Five of 1995 proves.
The 'yellow pages' of zines dedicated an issue to the web and its
consequences on the zine world. The cover title was 'Paper or
Plastic?" and this comic, perfectly synthesize the fears of dying of
the traditional zine world embodied by a bold younger 'silicon'
bully. Today there's no more doubt that the electronic space par
excellence is the web, and the whole publishing industry seems to
still wondering itself on how to exploit this medium for their old
business. They established websites with some (or more) content taken
from the printed edition and various online shops that would have
improved the sales. The latest strategy is a controversial one:
giving away pdf files of glossy entertainment magazines, if you
register on specialized websites. So you can find yourself not paying
money, but personal data for the latest Business Week, Macworld, or
Playboy issue. After registering, the download of a 50 or so megabyte
starts and after a while you can flip or turn the pages with mouse
clicks. The industry is then dramatically improving 'distribution,'
and 'readership', two of the golden keyword of commercial publishing,
apparently not affecting the sales. This strategy seems to be
borrowed from the p2p scheme. The better the distribution (even if
some of that is for free) the better the sales. And this could be an
efficient response to the so called 'Digital Shoplifting' of
copyrighted images that used to be quite popular in Japan. This was a
social phenomenon that involved mostly young woman taking pictures of
haircut or dresses in fashion magazines with their mobile phones in
bookstores, and then sharing the picture with friends discussing the
new trends. The Japanese Magazine Publishers Association says the
practice is "information theft" but bookshop owners said their staff
cannot tell the difference between customers taking pictures and
those simply chatting on their phones. And giving away content is a
publishing habit that has been anticipated by a sort of underground
design phenomenon. A substantial number of free electronic magazines
(downloadable or viewable in a web page) have been produced in this
field. This so-called pdf-zines (Magnify for example) were showing
off creativity, affinity among different design groups, aesthetic
experiments, content simply not worth for commercial magazines, or
too controversial for them. It's very important that they were not
interactive at all, not exploiting any characteristic of the
electronic medium apart the potential infinite duplication and
distribution. Sure enough they applied to these pdf files the same
graphic and production standards of the paper medium. A sort of never
born paper product, thrown off to the always free and crowded web
channels.

Print-on-demand, the photocopy machine of the new millennium (coming soon)
The need for physical print could be said to be 'instinctual'. How
paper can still trigger our inner instinct to read is at the core of
a 2006 computer art installation. I'm talking about the 'Pamphlet' by
Helmut Smits. It consists of a laptop, software, and a printer placed
on the edge of a window. People can type a message on the laptop. By
pressing 'send' a pamphlet is printed and dropped from the 10th floor
by the printer. The falling down paper and the resulting 'pamphlet'
on the street symbolizes the relatively short distance from the
personal production to the public enjoyment of a printed product, and
how the traditional product parameters has been disrupted. The
fascination of take-away paper is the same at the base of newspapers
that are starting to stretch their role and nature with downloadable
and printable last minute editions. These are highly customized on
one key factor: the updating time. They are meant to be read offline,
so enjoyed with a relative calm, but with the most stretched and
feverish time of production. This is part of a larger need: to put
the virtually and real-time produced content out of the screen to
affect real life or be enjoyed in it. And this is the field where
another technology step into. The print-on-demand is very simple: you
produce a pdf file of a magazine or a book. A print-on-demand online
service charges you something (there are cheap and expensive one) for
adapting the files to the production chain of a high resolution
digital copier. Than you'd ask them to produce the number of copies
you want (even a few or only one) also taking care of selling them on
the web. This is drastically reducing the costs of printing and
distributing, letting the author focusing on production. This is a
potentially big opportunity for independent publishing, avoiding the
usual initial costs of printing (the bigger one) and then giving to
every publisher the opportunity to sell its stuff through the web
without learning how to. I'm partially using it to save on the cost
of Neural and on producing art books for some project of mine (like
Amazon Noir). It'd be in the end what the photocopy machines has
represented in the eighties and nineties, a cheap opportunity to
print and distribute content in a stable, easy, usual, and physically
enjoyable format. That's what paper still is.
--

Alessandro Ludovico
Neural Magazine - English (http://neural.it/) Italian