MOODLE-UK@JISCMAIL.AC.UK

MOODLE-UK Home

MOODLE-UK  December 2008

MOODLE-UK December 2008

Re: PDF's and videos not working

Matthew Cannings <[log in to unmask]>

UK Moodle Users JISCmail list <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 2 Dec 2008 09:37:38 +0000

I have been converting videos to the flash format for the past year which helps resolve most video compatibility problems.

To do the converting I have been using the open source ffmpeg encoder which produces surprisingly good results.
Unfortunately when embedded in Moodle these videos are lacking metadata which means that the Moodle video player does not know how long the video is, so you can not skip forward or rewind. To fix this problem I run the videos through the freeware Metadata injector available at http://www.buraks.com/flvmdi/

If all this sounds a bit scary I have created some batch files that automate this process. The whole thing (including ffmpeg and flvmdi) is available at http://www.matc-online.co.uk/mod/resource/view.php?id=32

To use it just unzip the package anywhere and you will see five batch files that convert to various sizes and aspect ratios. All the batch files are drag and drop enabled so you just drop the video you want to convert onto the required size icon and away it goes. The output is directed to the same folder that the video is in but with a different file extension.

Matthew Cannings
Sandwell College

>>> Kevin Lawrence <[log in to unmask]> 26/11/2008 09:05 >>>
I wonder if somebody can help with a little problem I am having with pdf
files and movies. Neither seem to want to work within the Moodle
environment. The pdf's do eventually open after closing a couple of
dialogue boxes and then selecting a link that says "Direct Link to this
File"

I have a similar problem with video files, which won't run at all inside
the Moodle environment. Both files open and run fine outside Moodle.

We're running Moodle 1.9.2

Thanks

Kevin

Kevin Lawrence

ILT Development Manager

Ystrad Mynach College

01443 816888

P  Please consider the environment before printing / Ystyriwch yr
amgylchedd cyn argraffu