Help for MCG Archives

MCG Archives

MCG@JISCMAIL.AC.UK

MCG Home

MCG  December 2008

MCG December 2008

Re: Putting web addresses on interpretation

"Howell, Alan" <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 8 Dec 2008 12:18:33 -0000

We are currently somewhere in the middle of a protracted program to renew the interpretative signs around the 80 or so Guernsey historic sites under our department's care. We took the decision to just put the website home page address on the signs, as indeed we do with all of our printed marketing materials. At the time there was no further historic site information available on the site (and indeed that is still currently the case!) but we knew that there would be as soon as we could make it so. We hope to have a new content managed site online in January which will have a historic sites section but therein lies the rub - CMS page addresses are often not very user friendly or memorable. So, my gut feeling is that one probably wouldn't want to go there on printed materials unless one could plan for it in advance - using a short and memorable URL.

Alan Howell
Senior Curator
Guernsey Museums & Galleries

www.museums.gov.gg