The Disability-Research Discussion List

Managed by the Centre for Disability Studies at the University of Leeds

Help for DISABILITY-RESEARCH Archives

DISABILITY-RESEARCH Archives

DISABILITY-RESEARCH Archives

DISABILITY-RESEARCH@JISCMAIL.AC.UK

DISABILITY-RESEARCH Home

DISABILITY-RESEARCH Home

DISABILITY-RESEARCH  December 2008

DISABILITY-RESEARCH December 2008

[danmail] Chices and Rights 09 Conference: Communication – Make It Happen”

Colin REvell <[log in to unmask]>

Colin REvell <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 29 Dec 2008 18:15:01 +0000

“Communication – Make It Happen” - Conference

Following on from our highly successful conference in 2007 entitled “Who Says You Can’t?” Choices and Rights Disability Coalition are holding another one day national conference to look at the issues of communication and disability”. This event will reflect on the Access Direct project that has been running for the last three years, funded by the Big Lottery.

The conference is for disabled people, parents of disabled children, service providers and employers

The conference is to be held on 12th February 2009 at the KC Stadium, Anlaby Road, Hull.

The conference will be fully accessible for disabled people and will include a wide range of communication support (BSL interpreters, lip speakers, speech to text reporters etc) as well as guides and Personal Assistant’s and information will be available in a range of accessible formats on request.

If you would like to attend Choices and Rights will do everything possible to meet any particular need you may have.

The conference will be attended by several key speakers including:

Caroline Parker, a deaf woman who is a performance artist and “signs” songs such as Bohemian Rhapsody, etc

Karl Dean, a web designer and a wheelchair user who was also the first person in Britain to get a degree using a head pointer.

Highly acclaimed national disabled comedian Laurence Clark will be appearing at the conference. Laurence is becoming a regular at our conference and this time will be performing his latest show 12% Evil.  This show sold out on a number of occasions at the Edinburgh Festival and you can decide whether he would make a good Bond villain!

There will be numerous workshops that can be attended including workshops on:
1.         Assistance Dogs
2.         Deaf Awareness Workshop
3.         New Technology for disabled people

Other workshops and speakers still have to be confirmed but we guarantee it is worth expressing your interest now as we do expect it to sell out again.

To apply for a place at the conference, please contact Choices and Rights on Hull (01482) 878778 or email [log in to unmask] If you express a desire to attend you will be sent a programme and booking form, which will explain any charges payable. It will also request details of any particular assistance you require.

Colin Revell

Get Windows Live Messenger on your Mobile
http://clk.atdmt.com/UKM/go/msnnkmgl0010000001ukm/direct/01/

All emails are checked before they are sent on to the list. Please see the original "Welcome to the DAN Mailing list message" for further information. DAN mail list archives from 1 May 1999 are available at the Yahoo Group web site here http://groups.yahoo.com/group/danmail/messages . Free our people.Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: