JiscMail Logo

Help for COMPLEXITY-PRIMARY-CARE Archives

COMPLEXITY-PRIMARY-CARE Archives

COMPLEXITY-PRIMARY-CARE Archives

COMPLEXITY-PRIMARY-CARE@JISCMAIL.AC.UK

Message:

[

First

Previous

Next

Last

]

By Topic:

[

First

Previous

Next

Last

]

By Author:

[

First

Previous

Next

Last

]

Font:

LISTSERV Archives

LISTSERV Archives

COMPLEXITY-PRIMARY-CARE Home

COMPLEXITY-PRIMARY-CARE Home

COMPLEXITY-PRIMARY-CARE  December 2008

COMPLEXITY-PRIMARY-CARE December 2008

Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Log In

Log In

Get Password

Get Password

Re: another published paper that might be of interest, re wisdom

Soo Downe <[log in to unmask]>

Complexity and chaos theories applied to primary medical and social care <[log in to unmask]>

Sun, 21 Dec 2008 17:12:17 +0000

I wonder if the paper attached might be of interest? It is a
metasynthesis of accounts of expertise in maternity care, and we
finished up with the concepts of wisdom, enacted vocation, and skilled
practice. We make a plea in the paper for systems of maternity care to
acknowledge and accomodate these elements, to maximise safe motherhood
and optimal care.

The discussion on connation is fascinating, and it may be something we
pick up on as we take our work on expertise forward - thanks!

All the best

Soo

Professor Soo Downe
Director
WISH Reseach Group
and ReaCH (Research in Childbirth and Health) unit
Faculty of Health
University of Central Lancashire
Preston  PR1  2HE
Lancashire
England
UNITED KINGDOM

+44 (0) 1772 893815

tel: 01772  893815

>>> Carmel Martin <[log in to unmask]> 12/21/08 12:50 pm

Reminds me of the old saying
you can take a horse to water but you can't make him drink

 Connation is a very interesting concept, which seems to be located
within an individual: yet it appears to strongly relate to emergence,
adaptation and self organization in social systems as a group
phenomenon.It bears exploration further in the issue of change in
complex health systems with early adoption and resistance phenomena.
Carmel

Carmel M Martin, MBBS, MSc, PhD, MRCGP, FRACGP, FAFPHM
Tel: +1 613 562 4262 ext 2032; Cell +1 613 878 7372
Fax: +1 613 482 4609
Email: [log in to unmask]