BRITARCH December 2008

Re: Fw: Copyright abuse?

Scott Lomax <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 5 Dec 2008 07:53:53 -0000

I have had books published and articles in journals and each time I've had work published I have been asked to supply details of copyright for each image I use. As the photographer, you own copyright irrespective of whether your website had any copyright statement and credit should certainly be attached to that photograph. In the first instance I would suggest you contact the journal, send them a copy of relevant pages from the website and details of when the page 'went live' and say that you have emails in which you have contributed to the research of the journal article and any emails in which the photograph was referred to. You can ask that a correction be printed in a future journal.

Good luck.

Best wishes,
Scott Lomax

-----Original Message-----
From: British archaeology discussion list [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Paul Driscoll
Sent: 04 December 2008 17:26
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [BRITARCH] Fw: Copyright abuse?

I may be wrong but I didnt think you needed to speci Maggie and Keith,

I may be wrong but I didnt think you needed to specifically indicate that you reserve the copyright image, the fact that you can demonstrate you are the original author (photographer) should be enough.  I believe under the Copyright, Designs and Patents Act that photographs are your property under copyright terms and use of them without your permission is breaking the law, but I am sure someone can clarify that better than I.  That said a grey area here may be that someone could have stood in the very same position and taken the same shot making it look like your image. If however, you believe it is your image you would have cause for complaint.  In the future, if you are still worried about this, modern graphics programs (such as Paintshop Pro or Photoshop) allow you to put a watermark across the image with your names on it.  Therefore people can clearly view the image but if they want to reproduce it the text would be laid across it.  They would  then have to approach you directly for a license.  Only quite nifty digital manipulation will be able to remove it but in general this will affect the qaulity of the picture as well.

If someone could clarify the copyright issue or correct me that would be helpful.

Cheers

Paul