ACADEMIC-STUDY-MAGIC  December 2008

ACADEMIC-STUDY-MAGIC December 2008

Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Log In

Get Password

Re: Magick and the Academy (was Theater and Magic(k))

Sabina Magliocco <[log in to unmask]>

Society for The Academic Study of Magic <[log in to unmask]>

Sat, 20 Dec 2008 12:10:36 -0800

text/plain

Jason wrote: "I even have an entire chapter about ethnography and initiation, and how ethnographers who approach Paganism and magick sometimes choose to go through actual initiations, or how, even if they choose not to, they describe their experiences in the language of rites of passage. And it's become almost a cliche at this point, but still true, to compare the academic process to magickal initiation, complete with the medieval hooding ceremony."

Right on!  Ronald Hutton has a chapter in _Druids, Witches and King Arthur_ in which he compares magical initiation systems to academia, essentially arguing that academia is the only modern institution with public tripartite rites of initiation for its members.

And in a wonderful paper at the Pagan Studies Conference at Claremont last year, Steve Wehmeyer sketched the medieval and folkloric roots of the concept of the school for magic or wizardry which has, of course, been taken up by a number of fantasy authors, from Ursula K. Le Guin and J.K. Rowling to Diana Wynne Jones.  So the parallells between magical systems and academia are many, and the connections complex.

BB,
Sabina

Sabina Magliocco
Professor and Chair
Department of Anthropology
California State University - Northridge
18111 Nordhoff St.
Northridge, CA  91330-8244