Help for COOT Archives

COOT Archives

COOT@JISCMAIL.AC.UK

COOT Home

COOT  November 2008

COOT November 2008

Re: problem in coot installation in ubuntu

"Lynn F. Ten Eyck" <[log in to unmask]>

Lynn F. Ten Eyck

Fri, 14 Nov 2008 22:47:15 -0800

Having tried various forms of building Coot, and looked at several
Linux and OS X system variants, I can assure you that an autoconf
build would fail most of the time due to missing dependencies.  Coot
not only uses a lot of packages, it needs specific versions of many of
these packages.  This means that an autoconfigure version has to have
a LARGE number of "--with-XXX=path" directives for those cases in
which Coot need a version of a package that is either newer or older
than that provided by the distro.

The build script has its own problems, since Paul doesn't have a
sourceforge-like build farm.  It's still better than the alternatives
at this time.

Lynn Ten Eyck