Help for E-THESES-UK Archives

E-THESES-UK Archives

E-THESES-UK@JISCMAIL.AC.UK

E-THESES-UK Home

E-THESES-UK  November 2008

E-THESES-UK November 2008

Re: Electronic theses, Creative Commons licences and publisher policies

Rachel Proudfoot <[log in to unmask]>

UK discussion list for electronic theses and dissertations <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 18 Nov 2008 15:03:04 -0000

Hi Janet

I emailed CC about this recently. The reply I got was:

***
"There is no problem in continuing to use an older license.  The license
should never go away, and should always remain available on the CC site,
so your links will not break, even as new version come out.

You're right, you would need to get the permission of the copyright
holder to release it under a newer version of the license.  One possible
solution could be to get permission in advance from the copyright holder
to be able to re-license the work under a newer version of the same
license.

New license version would be announced at http://creativecommons.org on
the blog.  But the old licenses will also display a notice that a new
version of the license exists.  For example, see this license (Commons
Deed):

http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.0/"

***

We're also looking at how to handle this (whether to seek permission at
deposit to apply subsequent versions of the CClicense & whether updating
the license is worth the effort) but haven't resolved it yet.

Best wishes

Rachel

*****
Rachel Proudfoot