JiscMail Logo

Help for COMPLEXITY-PRIMARY-CARE Archives

COMPLEXITY-PRIMARY-CARE Archives

COMPLEXITY-PRIMARY-CARE Archives

COMPLEXITY-PRIMARY-CARE@JISCMAIL.AC.UK

Message:

[

First

Previous

Next

Last

]

By Topic:

[

First

Previous

Next

Last

]

By Author:

[

First

Previous

Next

Last

]

Font:

LISTSERV Archives

LISTSERV Archives

COMPLEXITY-PRIMARY-CARE Home

COMPLEXITY-PRIMARY-CARE Home

COMPLEXITY-PRIMARY-CARE  November 2008

COMPLEXITY-PRIMARY-CARE November 2008

Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Log In

Log In

Get Password

Get Password

Don Berwick and Ultrasafe Health care Quality safety and Risk

"Dawson Philip (TW) Dolphins Practice RH16 3BB" <[log in to unmask]>

Complexity and chaos theories applied to primary medical and social care <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 4 Nov 2008 13:15:34 -0000

text/plain

Dear all,  Just  have to share with you a thought!

Just  finished  reading  Don Berwick's  paper on Five system Barriers to
achieving ultrasafe health care  Ann Intern. Med 2005;142: 756-764

It is one of those  dense  papers  you need a lazy afternoon to get through!
However it  encapsulates  the  issues  of complexity, Safety and Quality  of
care well. He even Quotes Reason!

I was impressed hearing  Don Berwick Speak at the RCGP meeting.  Suddenly
various  links  sprang to mind particularly about  complexity  issues when
dealing  with very small numbers  [10^-6] of potentially catastrophic
events.  I am sure  this is a complexity  area.

It  is just  where does primary  care vary  form a high reliability
organisation to an Ultrasafe organisation.

My thoughts  were that we to look at limitations on demand and getting  away
from the craftsman's attitude.  Read the paper  you will see what I mean.

Anyway  just a thought to share with like minded individuals!

Kind regards

Philip

Dr Philip Dawson
General Practitioner and Partner

Dolphins Practice
The Nightingale Primary Care Centre
Butlers Green Road
HAYWARDS HEATH
West Sussex
RH16 4BN

Telephone   01444 414767
Fax            01444 451532

www.dolphinspractice.co.uk

Important Notice: This message is intended for the attention of the person
or organisation to which it has been addressed. It may contain information
that is confidential, proprietary and/or exempt from disclosure by law. If
you have received this message in error please be aware that the sender does
not waive any confidentiality, ownership rights or privilege applicable to
it. You are therefore strictly prohibited to disseminate, distribute or copy
this message in any way