Help for ARCHIVES-NRA Archives

ARCHIVES-NRA Archives

ARCHIVES-NRA@JISCMAIL.AC.UK

ARCHIVES-NRA Home

ARCHIVES-NRA  November 2008

ARCHIVES-NRA November 2008

Re: London`s Ancient Markets - Demolition

sandra shevey <[log in to unmask]>

sandra shevey <[log in to unmask]>

Sat, 22 Nov 2008 00:53:37 -0800

When I first began campaigning for recognition and preservation of British (London) ancient markets in 1990 noone wanted to know.

Since then and as I write the Mayor`s Report on London`s Markets has been published and I believe that I, along with one other journalist, are the only two non-government people to be included in the paper.

But the paper is weak, and the government has failed to move quickly and with sufficient exercise to save the markets.  As I write Borough is already experiencing the effects of Crossrail expansion and 2-4 Bedale Street (one of the oldest precincts and the site of many period films) has been earmarked for demolition.

The same with Smithfield.  Hazel Blears only elected to list the Red House and thus give it `saving` listed status.  The rest of the buildings which Thornfield Properties have earmarked for demolition will move ahead.

Can I refer anyone seriously interested in the markets please to contact me as I have made a very good documentary about four of London`s ancient markets which I`m willing to run pro bono and to talk about? ([log in to unmask])

The 28-min DVD profiling Smithfield, Borough, Spitalfield and Covent Garden is entitled `London`s Ancient Markets: Their Fight for Survival`.  The website is: http://sandrashevey.tripod.com

I have also been writing a markets blog for `Enjoy England` (www.enjoyengland.co.uk)

www.geocities.com/sandra_shevey/classic_tan3.html