PHD-DESIGN  October 2008

PHD-DESIGN October 2008

Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Log In

Get Password

Re: information as an entity rather than an activity

Klaus Krippendorff <[log in to unmask]>

Klaus Krippendorff <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 10 Oct 2008 15:31:13 -0400

text/plain

terry,

your post is long and tries to make logical arguments that associates the concept of information in the mathematical theory of communication with process, and ends with justifying your notion of information as entities independent of human functioning.

in information theory, information is a measure of the difference in uncertainty between say, reading and not reading a text.  while reading is a process, the differnec is not.

if information is some thing that one could gather, hence exists outside of human beings,

can you explain that one message which provides a certain amount of information, if sent a second time does not add to the former? information theoreticians would say the second message is redundant, you would have to conclude that each conveys the same amount of information.  it follows that information cannot be an attribute of an entity (message).

can you explain the fact that one message affords different readings for different people?  if information were an entity, this would not make sense.  the concept of information as an entity is associated with an authoritarianism that insists messages have but one reading.

you seem to want to time-tag information by talking about new and old information.  obviously, this time-tag has something to do with when someone reads it not with the entity in question.

you refer to cybernetics without saying anything about the concepts you are alluding to by that name.

you are saying that a theory must have more variety than what it represents.  just the opposite is the case.  any theory reduces the variety of phenomena to the variables it theorizes.  the theory of free fall does not say anything about aerodynamics and weather conditions of the experiments conducted.

sorry, your getting into abstractions and meta-abstractions does not convince me at all.

let me add that there are theories other than shannon's and i am not taking what i said as the only approach.  but whatever approach is taken, information is -- in varela's terms "in-formation"  and according to ashby, cybernetics the study of systems that are informationally closed, an idea that is totally different from what you assert and i wished you wouldn't say you could speak as cybernetician.

you asked for my thoughts

klaus