Re: Live and Media Arts at the ICA

Emma Quinn <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 20 Oct 2008 11:45:02 +0100

text/plain

Just to clarify the situation, I have been told categorically by Ekow that as I am being made redundant there will be no more 'media arts' at the ICA.
Live arts will be covered by the exhibitions dept as part of their programme and the music dept.

best
emma

-----Original Message-----
From: Curating digital art - www.crumbweb.org on behalf of Christiane Paul
Sent: Sun 10/19/2008 2:06 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [NEW-MEDIA-CURATING] Live and Media Arts at the ICA

Hi everyone,
I agree that termination of new media programs at cultural institutions per se is nothing new, we have seen it before, for many different reasons.

I also agree with Simon's comment that the following statement by Ekow Eshun wouldn't necessarily need to be read in a negative way:

"I no longer feel that the artistic rationale for devoting considerable institutional?attention to that art form - to the extent of maintaining a dedicated department to its pursuance - can be strongly made."

This ideally would mean that new media arts are considered part of contemporary artistic practice and find their place in the institution's programming - something we presumably would all support. (Of course the reality most of the time is that new media arts drop off the map as soon as they lose their dedicated space).

What I find deeply disturbing is the following comment:

"New media based arts practice continues to have its place within the arts sector. However it's my consideration that, in the main, the art form lacks the depth and cultural urgency to justify the ICA's continued and significant investment in a Live & Media Arts department."

Wow. (Live &) New media arts lack 1) depth and 2) cultural urgency.

1) Is it the first art form in the history of art that, overall, lacks depth? One could make a very strong argument that any art form produces works that lack depth, works that are mediocre, works that are good and works that are outstanding. I guess new media arts are exceptional after all.

2) New media arts is the only art form that uses the technologies, which have profoundly changed societies around the planet, as a medium. The information society, globalization, connectivity (from the work place to 'social networking' / Web 2.0), immaterial labor  - the list could be much longer - are supported and enabled by these technologies. While not all new media art comments on the social / cultural / political condition, it seems to be *the* art form with prime potential for cultural urgency. (And I'm not saying that any other art form couldn't exhibit the latter).

I suspect that many people in the traditional art world share Eshun's opinion. To the best of my knowledge he is the first who shuts down a program by blatantly dismissing the art form. I'm looking forward to seeing his version of an "ambitious artistic plan."

Christiane