NEW-MEDIA-CURATING  October 2008

NEW-MEDIA-CURATING October 2008

Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Log In

Get Password

Re: Gender, art and new media . . . Theme for October 08?

Irina Aristarkhova <[log in to unmask]>

Irina Aristarkhova <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 23 Oct 2008 13:18:00 -0400

text/plain

Dear Verina,

I realized that I posed this on another thread, not on this gender,
art and new media thread. Just in case, I am posting it here as well.
All the best, Irina

To follow up with a few points on how this discussion on aesthetic
judgment and criteria for selecting works is connected to other
issues, like gender, institutions, West / East divide, history of art,
etc:

- I discussed "the tyranny of the possible" in contemporary and new
media art in my editorial in Leonardo (Vol. 38,No. 1, February 2005,
P. 1) - as a problem of "choice" in art, especially in relation to the
medium. The link to that text is here (reprinted in LEA):

http://leoalmanac.org/journal/Vol_13/lea_v13_n02.txt

 - In my recent research on Varvara Stepanova, who was a member of
Russian/Soviet avant-garde and a 'multi-media' artist herself, I found
a couple of curious citations in her diary that I think would be
relevant for our discussion on how choices are made what to buy /
exhibit, and what art departments are left to exist:

Stepanova writes: "I receive a lot of opposition [from established
artists and critics] for my new left art, and was asked to resign from
the new art organizations. Of course, it is difficult to start
something new, especially so new. Only Vasilich [Vassilii Kandinsky]
tells everyone (though he might think otherwise) that we are talented,
and to leave us alone. I am very surprised that he defends works that
he can poorly understand, obviously, cannot like and that are so
opposite to his own 'intuitive' art principle." (from Stepanova's
diary, March 11, 1920).

"We had Americans over. One was boring, dry, wearing specs, professor
Alfred Barr; another one - young and happy, Jere Abbott... Barr was
interested only in painting and drawing, though we [Stepanova and her
husband Rodchenko] showed them everything we had." (January 10, 1928).

Alfred Barr was the first director of Museum of Modern Art (MOMA) in
New York, and famously not very interested in Soviet experiments in
'art and technology' for his new MOMA collection. Ironically, when
Guggenheim decided to profile women-artists prominent in Russian /
Soviet avant-garde (in a 2001 exhibition), curators also chose only
paintings, though Stepanova, for example, or Exter, are more known for
multi-media, textile and experimental performance / graphic design
work:
http://www.guggenheim.org/exhibitions/past_exhibitions/amazons_of_the_avant_garde/

Opportunities to make and to show, generosity with such opportunities,
politics of funding, larger politics of art practice in a given
society, respect and reputation from peers-artists, theorists and
curators, this is what Stepanova documents as major factors in making
or breaking an artist, or an art movement. She documents brutality
with which she was personally attacked both as a woman artist and as a
"left" artist, long before the so-called Russian constructivism was
attacked as an art movement. These attacks would not mean as much, if
they did not lead to people losing their jobs and sometimes their
lives. It was more difficult for her as she did not make a distinction
between her art making and what was happening in society (she worked
in a factory, in a design studio, was also an educator and a
researcher). Stepanova also had no illusions about difficulties of
being a 'woman' who is trying to re-think and re-make entire art
history in the early 1920s, not from the point of view of 'individual
hero artist' (she documented how her better known male colleagues had
problems with collective, anonymous and socially-aware art practice,
as well as with changing position of women in early Soviet life). And
it was Kandunsky in 1920 who supported her employment and art making,
together with Lunacharsky and few others. At that time this support
often meant not to go hungry and continue practicing. May be, in
today's financial crisis it is not about going hungry, but it still
seems to be about continuing one's artistic and curatorial practice.
Do we have enough "Kandinskys and Lunacharskys" today, to support
something that does not look like their own practice or even values in
art?

Warm regards,
Irina