I'm a Fellow of All Souls College, Oxford, where I recently finished my Ph.D
on the philosophy of perception.
With people from Stanford and Cambridge University, I've launched a website,
www.academia.edu, which does two things:
- It shows researchers around the world in a 'tree' format, displaying
which institution/department they are affiliated with.
- It enables researchers and academics to keep track of the latest
developments in their field - the latest people, papers, and talks.
We're hoping that Academia.edu will eventually list every academic in the
world -- Faculty members, Post-Docs, and Graduate Students. People can add
their departments, and themselves, to the tree by clicking on the arrows.
The site is getting some traction. Over 9,000 academics have joined
Academia.edu in the last two months. Some professors on the site include:
- Richard Dawkins - http://oxford.academia.edu/RichardDawkins
- Stephen Hawking - http://cambridge.academia.edu/StephenHawking
- Paul Krugman - http://princeton.academia.edu/PaulKrugman
- Noam Chomsky - http://mit.academia.edu/NoamChomsky
We're trying to spread the word about Academia.edu as much as possible. It
would be terrific if you could visit the site, and add yourself to your
department on the tree. If your university is not there, you can add it by
clicking on the arrows coming out of the university boxes.
And do spread the word to your friends and colleagues if you can.
Dr. Richard Price,
All Souls College,