EPHEMERA  October 2008

EPHEMERA October 2008

Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Log In

Get Password

Abstracts Due - Development and Globalization

Sadhvi Dar <[log in to unmask]>

Sat, 18 Oct 2008 14:51:45 +0100

text/plain

APOLOGIES FOR CROSS POSTING

Dear Colleagues and Friends,

We would like to invite you to submit an abstract to

Stream 25: Development and Globalization ? Human Rights and Organizing
Democracy

at the Sixth International Critical Management Studies Conference (CMS
6) taking place from 13 - 15 July 2009 at Warwick Business School, UK

You can find the more detailed call for papers below. Please note that
abstracts are due on 1 November 2008. We welcome papers from
researchers and practitioners alike from diverse backgrounds and take
pride in supporting junior scholars. Please do not hesitate to contact
us at our stream email address [log in to unmask] for further
information on our conference stream. More information on the CMS 6
conference can be found at
http://www2.warwick.ac.uk/fac/soc/wbs/conf/cms2009/.

We look forward to receiving your abstracts and welcoming you in Warwick!

Best regards,

Sadhvi Dar, Queen Mary University of London, UK
Bettina Wittneben, University of Oxford, UK
Bobby Banerjee, University of Western Sydney, Australia

Stream title:
Development and Globalization ? Human Rights and Organizing Democracy

Stream description
This stream provides a stimulating and exciting space to discuss
development and globalisation issues within a critical management
studies context. We are inviting papers from diverse world views and
academic fields to engage with current political questions that are
central to understanding the international organisation of development
and globalisation.

We hope to capture how the current political climate has been absorbed
in our academic debates on global development issues and how these
debates have been flavoured by our understandings of human rights and
democracy. We wish to explore the links between critical management
studies and contemporary events, discussions and ideas about security,
war, democracy, poverty and globalisation. These links should be
central to all delegates who participate in this stream. However - the
main precept from which we launch our call for papers, is for a
committed and truly interdisciplinary approach to formulating
theoretical assumptions and designing empirical studies.

We are told time and time again that we live in a globalizing world,
and that this presents great risks as well as great opportunities to
our lives. What has unfolded, however, is an inherently complex
arrangement of power relations, discourses and institutions that set
the agenda for how these risks are envisioned and how they are played
out in the international arena. The workshop organizers relate these
complexities to the problematic concepts of human rights and
democracy. Such ideological motifs are sustained by a belief in the
individual and the protection of private rights. They are also
sustained by global efforts to transport these political ideas to
other locations ? indeed ? to any location (geographic, economic,
political, social) that steps up to the mark and embraces ?liberal
democracy?. The organizers identify this globalizing human rights
agenda as highly contentious and seek to develop a managerial critique
of these issues.

We invite critical scholars to further explore the links between
management studies and politics, international relations, political
economy, security studies and other connected fields that problematize
security and democracy as central organizing principles in current
political discourses.

Themes
The stream convenors suggest engaging with the following themes but
contributions are invited from other related fields as well:

Issues:
The political economy of human security
The geopolitics of the state: space and sovereignty
Capitalist institutions and war
Marketing ethics and the necro-economies
Democracy and security
Notion of sustainability and environmental risk
Climate change and human security

Perspectives:
Gender perspectives and feminist critique
Postcolonial and post-development perspectives
Human geography
Political economy
Critical management studies

Delegates are encouraged to submit abstracts that reflect on or
explicitly engage with these themes outlined above. We will consider
all submissions and actively promote an interdisciplinary approach to
understanding development and globalization issues. In addition, we
want to create a space to discuss different methodological approaches
in tackling these themes.

Information for Authors

What you should do right now
Please submit your abstracts (maximum 1000 words, A4 paper, single
spaced, 12 point font) and by 1st November 2008 to [log in to unmask]
and [log in to unmask]

Hearing back about your submission
You will hear from us by December 2008 regarding our decision about
the abstract you have submitted.

Writing your full paper
Authors whose abstracts have been accepted must submit their full
paper by 1st May 2009. Please use the format: maximum 6000 (aim for
4000) words A4 paper, single spaced, 12 point font.

Receiving a timetable
We will inform you when and where your paper will be presented during
February 2009.

--
Sadhvi Dar
Lecturer in CSR and Business Ethics