Re: Colour / luminance contrast kit

Marcus Ormerod <[log in to unmask]>

Accessibuilt list <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 29 Oct 2008 10:24:06 -0000

HI Vin

There was a discussion on this topic on the National Register of Access
Consultants (NRAC) list last week as I think they were offering a deal
on them. I did not follow this discussion closely, but assume it is the
Natural Colour System (NCS) system
http://www.ncscolour.co.uk/products/individual_product_pages/colour_cont
rast_kit.html
It uses a hand held scanner that gives a NCS reading, you then need to
search through a table to find out what the light reflectance value
(LRV) of that reading is. From this you can determine how many points
difference there are between different surfaces. The scanner needs a
flat surface of about 20mm diameter to take a reading. The down sides
are that reading off the table is a bind, but it does store up to 20
readings on the scanner and it is a closed system so does not take
account of glare, light levels in the environment, etc that may make
colours appear different to the eye, it is expensive. On the plus side
if you do not have access to the manufacturer's LRV for a surface you
can find out what it is quickly.

Hope this may help
Regards
Marcus

Professor Marcus Ormerod
SURFACE Inclusive Design Research Centre
SOBE, The University of Salford
4th floor Maxwell Building
Salford M5 4WT
Tel 0161 295 5405