Help for BRITARCH Archives

BRITARCH Archives

BRITARCH@JISCMAIL.AC.UK

BRITARCH Home

BRITARCH  September 2008

BRITARCH September 2008

Maritime Archaeological Archives Project

Alison Hamer <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 17 Sep 2008 10:47:37 +0000

Dear Colleagues,

You might remember that I emailed the britarch list some time ago about the ‘Securing the Future of Maritime Archaeological Archives Project – see below for more information. I would really like to encourage you to take a few minutes to reply – even if you have no maritime archives. The survey is available online at http://www.surveymonkey.com/s.aspx?sm=dI5IeOidB9GGCfVWSctF_2bQ_3d_3d
or, I can email you a copy of an excel spreadsheet based version to fill in at your leisure should this be easier.

If I can answer any questions please don’t hesitate to contact me. If you have recently filled in the survey thank you,

Best wishes

Alison Hamer

The situation in the UK relating to maritime archaeological archives and collections is currently being investigated through the ‘Securing a Future for Maritime Archaeological Archives’ project. There are few museums and archives which are able to accept and curate collections from the marine and inter-tidal zone. This has lead to a situation where it is often difficult to deposit archives from archaeological investigations. As part of the project we are keen to contact as many groups, individuals, organizations and institutions which may hold maritime archaeological archive to investigation the amount of archive material generated, the types of material (objects, paper records, photographs, digital files etc) and its accessibility.

Archive considered within the project would include:
·               Material relating to shipwrecks and associated artefacts (whether single finds or collections), aircraft remains, prehistoric landscapes, now submerged terrestrial sites and any other types of sites or finds lying below the high water mark.
·               Archive material might be documentary including field notes, reports, photographs, drawings and slides (including site reports held by HER’s and NMRs), object (both artefactual and environmental samples) or digital. This definition includes Grey Literature reports.
·               Records of investigations, or archaeological interventions, which have produced any of the above types of archive including desk based assessments, survey (direct and remote), evaluation, excavation and artefact recovery/ salvage.

The project is being supported by English Heritage, Historic Scotland, Royal Commission for the Ancient and Historic Monuments of Scotland and the Society of Museum Archaeologists. The Hampshire & Wight Trust for Maritime Archaeology, Institute of Field Archaeologists and Archaeology Data Service are responsible for delivering the project.

If you or your organization hold maritime archives we are hoping that you will be able to help us by filling in the online questionnaire which we have developed. Further information on the project is available at: http://www.hwtma.org.uk/projects/MaritimeArchaeologicalArchives.htm where you can find, a number of downloadable documents and links to relevant projects and information.
If you would prefer to go straight to the questionnaire, follow this link:
http://www.surveymonkey.com/s.aspx?sm=dI5IeOidB9GGCfVWSctF_2bQ_3d_3d

In response to requests from holders of multiple archives we have also produced an Microsoft excel version of the questionnaire which can be downloaded and saved to aid multiple entries. This can also be downloaded from the website.

We hope you will be able to complete the questionnaire and support the project. Without this baseline information it is impossible to gauge the current numbers and diversity of maritime archives and collections, with this information we can help develop appropriate responses to ensure there are enhanced facilities and support for our maritime archaeological heritage.

The deadline for responses is Friday the 31st October 2008.

Many thanks for your help.

Make a mini you and download it into Windows Live Messenger
http://clk.atdmt.com/UKM/go/111354029/direct/01/