Help for URB-GEOG-FORUM Archives

URB-GEOG-FORUM Archives

URB-GEOG-FORUM@JISCMAIL.AC.UK

URB-GEOG-FORUM Home

URB-GEOG-FORUM  September 2008

URB-GEOG-FORUM September 2008

CFP: AAG 2009 Rising oil prices and the changing face of globalization

Chris Fowler <[log in to unmask]>

Urban Geography Discussion and Announcement Forum <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 11 Sep 2008 15:39:02 -0700

CFP: AAG 2009  Rising oil prices and the changing face of globalization

Session organizers: Christopher Fowler and Derik Andreoli, University of
Washington

Economic globalization as we have known it in the past decade is founded
in part on decreasing transportation costs that made it cost effective
for businesses to extend their logistics chains across the globe. From
this humble beginning in the cheaper movement of goods, globalization
has found purchase in a vast range of research agendas that cover the
entire breadth of geographic research. Recently, fuel prices have risen
enough to begin to change the calculus for some businesses and perhaps
of even greater importance there is a tremendous uncertainty as to where
prices will go in the future. What are the ramifications for the
movement of capital and labor? For the organization of firms, supply
chains, and the workers they employ across the globe? How important are
fuel costs compared to wage differentials when thinking about location
decisions? How sticky are the investments in infrastructure and
relationships made while fuel was cheap and how long will they remain
when it is not? How do rising fuel costs link to other aspects of
globalization such as 'buy local' and other social movements? Where must
we turn theoretically, methodologically, and empirically to get a handle
on what is happening and what will happen? The potential for change in
our thinking about globalization is vast and we have yet to scope out
the full extent of this change or the places where we might expect to
see it.  This call for papers is left intentionally broad in the hope
that we can begin a conversation that will bring together geographers
with a wide range of research interests to offer insight into how a
rapid and global change in the price of a single factor of production
might change our understanding of globalization.

If you are interested in participating in this session please send a
title and abstract to [log in to unmask] by October 1st. If there
is enough interest we are hoping to do a pair of complimentary sessions,
one a panel of speakers and one a presentation of completed research
relevant to this topic. Please indicate the capacity in which you would
like to participate.

Christopher S. Fowler PhD.