NEW-MEDIA-CURATING September 2008

List moderation and guidelines - reminder

Sarah Cook <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 9 Sep 2008 10:33:51 -0400

> On 8 Sep 2008, at 23:19, John Hopkins wrote:
>>> For Immediate Release
>> Does anyone else on this list have any aversion to Press/PR
>> releases being sent to this list?

Hi John and other CRUMB List members,

Apologies for the Press content circulated via the list. CRUMB has a
'three strikes and you're out' rule -- that is, if a list member
posts more than three spam-self-promotion items *without* introducing
a relevant reason for why they are posting the material to the list,
then we unsubscribe them. We always email them off-list first.

It may be worth re-iterating, for all our newer members, a bit of the
past discussion on this topic, and some guidelines for CRUMB works:

Contents:
1. About the list
2. About the "Themes of the Month"
3. About promotion on list
4. Technical Notes

1. ABOUT THE LIST

This list is intended for those involved in curating, exhibiting,
archiving or interpreting new media art (including net.art,
interactive installations, digital video etc.) It's for discussion of
issues specifically related to new media art curating, because
although there is much material concerning new media art, new media
theory, and new media as 'education' in museums, there is little to
help curators deal with the challenges of new media art.

It is the discussion list of the CRUMB web site (Curatorial Resource
for Upstart Media Bliss http://www.crumbweb.org). The site includes:
CRUMB INTERVIEWS, SEMINARS and LINKS. Visit often ... leave crumbs of
knowledge.

The List rules are simple:

a) It's for the debate of CURATING new media art in particular.
Please DON'T post publicity about events even if they are new media
art, unless they particularly concern curating, or curating
opportunities. If you want criticallly discuss the curating aspects
of a new media event, then please DO.  Other lists which do take
listings are mentioned on the CRUMB web site.

b) No attachments.

c) Everybody play nice - constructive criticism is fine, but flaming
is boring.

d) For clarity of debate DO be clear about which topic or thread you
are responding to, in the Header of your message.   For brevity,
check that you are copying only the relevant parts of the text that
you are responding to.

e) Any technical problems with the list- email new-media-curating-
[log in to unmask] rather than the whole list.

This is an unmoderated list (messages sent from subscribers' email
addresses to [log in to unmask] are AUTOMATICALLY
forwarded to all 700+ list members; those from email addresses which
are not subscribed to CRUMB, are bounced back to the writer), and
with that comes an element of trust that discussion will be on the
productive side.

2. ABOUT THE "THEMES OF THE MONTH"

To get debates going, every other month will feature a particular
theme of debate, with specially invited contributors. ANY member is
welcome to contribute on any topic at any time, but the themes may
help focus debate.

3. MORE ABOUT PROMOTION ON LIST:

This list is for the discussion of issues relating to curating new
media art. Please do not post general publicity about shows, even if
they are about new media art.

There are lots of other great and open/unmoderated online lists which
allow (or are created for!) announcements and 'general posts about
current shows' - such as Spectre (here in Europe) or Rhizome (more in
North America) but there are still remarkably few lists that support
the development of the practice of curating and discussion around the
issues of curating - media art or art formerly known as new media, or
art after new media or whatever/other.

CRUMB tries to stay on the side of the latter, rather than compete in
the same terrain as the former. so in our minds, an announcement
about a show opening is not necessarily as valid as a review of it,
especially if the review mentions some 'issue' to do with the
curating / production / presentation of the work -- which is why self-
reviewing is so welcome here. In the past we've let curators post
notices about their own shows, so long as they editorialise and
include a comment about why it is relevant to this forum - i.e. what
they want to discuss in relation to it (and I don't mean 'hey, tell
me if you like my show'). I myself have often posted notices about
conferences/events pertaining to new media to prompt anyone on the
list who might be going to report back about it, especially if it is
particularly relevant to one of our monthly theme-d discussions.
These critical reports we all crave might go some way to us all
discovering what new media actually is. Although I'm never entirely
sure that that is a goal of this list anyway. Discovering what
curating entails and how new media illuminates/challenges/messes
about with that is though.

As a subscriber once said, "the quality and relevance of CRUMB is in
the discussions about curatorial and related issues."

4. TECHNICAL NOTES

Important Email Addresses
========================

This is the JISCmail program.  If you choose to use email (rather
than using the simpler web interface at <http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/
lists/new-media-curating.html>), you can send commands (to leave,
join, or get archives) to this email address.

This is the address of this list.  Any messages sent to this address
will be automatically forwarded to all the members of the list.

This is the address for the list owner(s) who looks after the list.
If you have a problem with the list, send a message to this address.
For example,
        - if you have problems leaving the list
        - if you have problems sending a message to the list

This is the JISCmail Helpline.
If you have any questions about or problems with JISCmail use this
address.

How to...
=======

1.  To send a message to everyone on the list, send an email to:

2. To leave the list, send an email to:

     with the two-line command

         leave  new-media-curating
         --

(The second command line is two minus signs - this stops JISCmail
trying to process any signature information which may be appended to

Web Pages
==========

You can access this list, its associated files and archive of
messages from the World Wide Web, from:

         http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/new-media-curating.html

Problems
========

o  Never send commands, or requests to join, or admin. queries, to
     [log in to unmask] - your problem will be
broadcast to all our members!

o  If your mail address changes, send a message to the list owner at

o  If something goes wrong - perhaps you get two copies of every message
    send a message to [log in to unmask]

o  If mail from this list  to you is regularly rejected for some reason
    (perhaps because you have run out of file space or your computer
mail
    service has been renamed) the list-owner may eventually delete
     you  from the list.

o  If you get no mail, you may have been deleted from the list - see
above.
    Either send a message to new-media-curating-
[log in to unmask],    or
    resubscribe