NEW-MEDIA-CURATING  September 2008

NEW-MEDIA-CURATING September 2008

Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Log In

Get Password

Re: Fwd: [NEW-MEDIA-CURATING] Fwd: [OlatsNewsEnglish] Cybernetics Serendipity Redux

Simeon Lockhart Nelson <[log in to unmask]>

Simeon Lockhart Nelson <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 3 Sep 2008 19:31:57 +0100

text/plain

Hi Roger

I agree that James Lovelock's Gaia and earlier prototype concept,
daisyworld, http://library.thinkquest.org/C003763/flash/gaia1.htm are
great examples of cybernetic thinking; an entity, in this case a
planet, adjusting itself to external stimuli enters and maintains a
state of homeostasis or autopoesis - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/
Autopoiesis - This increasing order and stability could be thought of
as purposive, a perspective which makes some scientists quite queasy
according to some scientist freinds of mine!

Rachel Carson, deep ecologist Arne Naess, and eco-design guru Victor
Papanek all  intuited this fundamental  planetary equilibrium and
were concerned not just for humanities sake but saw nature as
something intrinsically valuable, an idea many of us now accept. The
Arte Povera movement, Haacke, Merz, Penoni etc, and Hesse, Smithson
and others represented this zeitgeist in the visual arts; they did
not necessarily use computers or even other high-tech and I dont
think that an artist has to use computer technology to qualify for
the cybernetic label.

Bucky-Fuller was quite different to the above I think in that his
dymaxion (dynamic maximum tension) concept presupposed that the earth
would be able to support unbelievably vast numbers of people in the
future with less resources than were used in his time for the
population then. He was  the (last?) supreme techno-optimist and like
all utopian thinkers was too optimistic about human nature.

Perhaps a truly cybernetic world-view would see society, nature and
technology as interacting systems sharing structure and dynamics on a
more abstract level of description. It might even be able to include
aspects of currently intensely fashionable 'social engagement'.

Simeon