Help for CRIT-GEOG-FORUM Archives

CRIT-GEOG-FORUM Archives

CRIT-GEOG-FORUM@JISCMAIL.AC.UK

CRIT-GEOG-FORUM Home

CRIT-GEOG-FORUM  September 2008

CRIT-GEOG-FORUM September 2008

Request for support - cinema worker sacked for joining a union

Ant Ince <[log in to unmask]>

Ant Ince <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 12 Sep 2008 11:16:17 +0100

Hi all,

Apologies if this isn't normally allowed... a call-out for solidarity
with a worker (who is a friend of a friend) in Sheffield, sacked for
union membership. This is part-way through a union organising drive at
the cinema, with already more than half the workers on board. Chris was
one of the main organisers, so it's not surprising that he was singled
out for sacking on dubious, trumped-up charges.

They are calling for a mass email and telephone 'blockade' TODAY. Rumour
has it that management has shut down the email system today (i wonder
why!), so if you send an email and it bounces, please make sure you make
a telephone call instead.

Ant

--

On the 21st August Chris Lockwood, union organiser and member of the IWW
union was fired from his bar job at the Showroom Cinema in Sheffield.

You can help get Chris reinstated by participating in an email and
telephone 'blockade' on Friday, between 10am and midnight.

EMAIL:

Send the below email (or even better, put it into your own words) to the
following addresses:

And 'cc' it to the addresses of some of the Showroom's major supporters
and funders:

Template email:

To whom it may concern,

I am contacting you today to register my protest against the illegal
dismissal of Chris Lockwood. Chris is a member of the IWW union and has
been discriminated against on this basis. A member of senior management
   has stated in conversation to a union delegate that you believe Chris'
dismissal to be fair because he was only a “casual” labourer. This may
be how you chose to label those who work just above minimum wage in your
bar and cinema. I, however, believe that workers are entitled to respect
in their workplace and the right to organise. The clearly trumped up
charges and your failure to follow statutory procedure represents an
illegal move by your management team against union organising. I will
not support or patronise your business and will do everything in my
power to publicise and protest your actions until the complete
reinstatement of Chris Lockwood.

Yours Faithfully, XXXX

TELEPHONE:

Please call 0114 276 3534 and ask to speak to Julie Simpson (or another
member of senior management). In your call, please note the following:

- The irregularity of his dismissal
- Management's disrespect towards legitimate trade union organising and
requests from the Union to discuss issues
- the contradiction of an ethical business being so unethical
- That you are willing to raise this issue with their sponsors and
supporters in the Independent Cinema Network and will continue to do so
until you feel it is resolved.

Many thanks. Please forward widely.
--

Anthony Ince