Help for BRITARCH Archives

BRITARCH Archives

BRITARCH@JISCMAIL.AC.UK

BRITARCH Home

BRITARCH  August 2008

BRITARCH August 2008

Re: Archaeology's Limits, "where coins come from" and export licence evasion

Dave Welsh <[log in to unmask]>

Sun, 17 Aug 2008 06:20:16 -0800

I certainly do not think all archaeologists are incapable of learning from
history, although that is not to say that none of them are. It does seem to
me, however, that "history oriented" investigations and discoveries of
numismatists and others oriented toward artifact studies are often
undervalued by archaeologists. Arguments which in effect assert that site
specific contextual information is all important frequently tend to conflict
with modern views of the importance of learning from the past, and not
repeating past errors that have led to disastrous results. Perhaps the
preventable (and in many cases horrible) deaths of many millions of people
should receive at least some weight in current archaeological opinion.

No one will, however, easily succeed in convincing me that an education
focusing upon archaeology inherently prevents one from being an impractical
advocate of poorly thought out measures. In that spirit I would like to
invite listreaders other than extremists such as Paul Barford, to present
reasons why his remarks and those of similar extremists should be taken
seriously.

It is important to state that I am absolutely open to rational discussion of
issues that does not rest upon ideology unsupported by factual evidence. Let
us cooperatively discover the truth, without prejudice.

Dave Welsh
Unidroit-L Listowner
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Unidroit-L