ADMIN-EO  August 2008

ADMIN-EO August 2008

Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Log In

Get Password

Re: Subject: Monitoring via staff records & surveys [was: Re: Disability - considering someone as disabled]

Stuart Moore <[log in to unmask]>

HE Administrators equal opportunities list <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 5 Aug 2008 13:56:25 +0100

text/plain

Dave, thanks for your comments and copy of the Civil Service code. As
someone who previously worked at the Cabinet Office I'd agree that this
is a useful code for monitoring ethnicity.

The Cabinet Office itself has a fairly elaborate electronic HR system.
Staff can access it directly to update their personal information,
including disclosing anything in regards to disability, ethnicity,
gender, sexual orientation and caring responsibilities. Equality data
from this system was used to monitor any employment barriers, such as
those to which you refer (grade structure, pay, etc).

In regards to the HE sector, from discussions I have had with HEIs there
are differences in the ways in which they conduct their monitoring. With
the ECU project on staff disclosure I am interested to note the comments
being made in this discussion. With the report ECU hopes to publish next
year on this subject matter any other comments would be gratefully
received.

If you would like to send me any comments please send directly to me at
the email address below.

Regards

Stuart Moore
Policy Adviser

Direct tel 020 7438 1023
E-mail [log in to unmask]
Switchboard 020 7438 1010
Fax 020 7438 1011

Equality Challenge Unit
7th Floor, Queens House
55/56 Lincoln's Inn Fields
London WC2A 3LJ

*******************************DISCLAIMER*******************************
****
Equality Challenge Unit
Company limited by guarantee, number 05689975
Registered charity, number 1114417
Registered office: 7th floor, Queens House, 55/56 Lincoln's Inn Fields,
London WC2A 3LJ, United Kingdom.

Equality Challenge Unit (ECU) promotes equality and diversity in higher
education.  ECU is funded by Universities UK, GuildHE, and the UK higher
education funding bodies (HEFCE, HEFCW, DEL-NI) and by SFC to work in
collaboration with Equality Forward in Scotland.

Although every effort is made to ensure that the information contained
within this email is accurate and up to date, ECU cannot be held
responsible for any errors or omissions. The information is not a
substitute for legal advice, and should you require more specific advice
you should consult an appropriately qualified professional advisor.

This message is confidential. If you are not the intended recipient you
should not copy or disclose this message to anyone but should kindly
notify the sender and delete the message.  Opinions, conclusions and
other information in this message that do not relate to the official
business of ECU shall be understood as neither given nor endorsed by it.
No contracts shall be concluded by means of this e-mail.

Neither ECU nor the sender accepts any responsibility for viruses. The
administrator of this e-mail service reserves the right to access and
disclose all messages sent over its e-mail system.