MCG July 2008

Re: Using Apple Macs in exhibitions

Dave Patten <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 10 Jul 2008 15:02:39 +0100

Thanks to everyone who has replied so far.
Just to clarify, I am running stand alone applications not web apps or
pages so I am NOT using a browser.
Tony - I had found the Apple pages and thought they would provide the
solution but the links to the demo apps no longer work, I contacted Apple
about that but have had no response.

Dave

Dave Patten
Head of New Media
The Science Museum
Exhibition Road
London
SW7 2DD

Tel: 0207 942 4864
Web: www.sciencemuseum.org.uk

-----Original Message-----
From: Museums Computer Group [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of
Timothy Furmston
Sent: 10 July 2008 14:47
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Using Apple Macs in exhibitions

On 10/07/2008 13:39, "Tony Crockford" <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> On 10 Jul 2008, at 13:11, Dave Patten wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> I am about to install some Macs in an exhibition at the Science
>> Museum (the first Macs we have used for about 8 years!) and am
>> looking for advice on the best way to lock the computers down so that
>> the public can only access the exhibit program and that if the
>> program crashes that they have no access to the underlying operating
>> system and filing system. I know their are a number of ways of doing
>> this and I just wondered what peoples expereinces were - how do you
>> do this and why do you do it in a particular way.
>> The Macs are running Flash and Director based applications under OSX
>> 10.5
>> (Leopard) and are controlled via a tocuhscreen.
>
> I assume you've worked through this:
> http://developer.apple.com/technotes/tn2002/tn2062.html
>
> see also:
> http://haoli.dnsalias.com/Saft/index.html
>
> which will imbue Safari with Kiosk mode
>
> Are the macs using standard keyboards or housed in kiosks or something
> else?
>
> we generally use something like these for added security:
> http://www.amplicon.co.uk/IPC/product/Rugged-Kiosk-3737.cfm
>
> the fewer function keys the better!

Try taking a look at a browser called iCab (free to download).

http://www.icab.de/

It has an inbuilt kiosk mode with an addition preference panel to set it
up.
The setup is quite simple and quick but is also very good at automatically
disabling 'features' which preferably should not be active.

Within system preferences trying taking a look at the universal access
keyboard shortcuts which can sometimes be activated using certain keys.
Also within SP there is the option to use parental controls which can be
set to only allow certain applications to be run under specified
circumstances.