Karen Coyle <[log in to unmask]>

List for discussion on Resource Description and Access (RDA)

Tue, 1 Jul 2008 08:41:15 -0700

Just for info, I attended part of the discussion about RDA and MARC at
the MARBI (MARC standards) meeting on Sunday, and it is being made clear
that, for now, RDA rules require textual strings and that it will not
work to substitute coded values (much less URIs) for the data values.
This includes things like language codes: RDA requires the language as a
text, and it doesn't seem to matter that the code could be stored in the
record and at every point where a human encounters it it would appear as
a text (eg for input and display and searching). Unfortunately, I missed
the initial explanation of this so I'm hoping someone who was there will
give a more accurate report on the RDA/JSC position.

In any case, this means that we need to allow "free text" for all of the
RDA element values, but of course we should not limit ourselves to that.

kc

--
[log in to unmask] http://www.kcoyle.net