Re: We Speak for Gaia, Deal with It

"Wright, Steve" <[log in to unmask]>

Wright, Steve

Mon, 21 Jul 2008 11:34:32 +0100

text/plain

Dear Joe and Chris,

It would eb a great mistake to believe that governments will necessarily be benevolent in dealing with climate change if a nationals ecurity perspective is introduced. The key dimension of such "war foorings" si that they are anti-democratic" and as we saw in the National Security sates in altin America - an easy cover for witch humts and amss human rights violations - not to mention the alternative and anti-human agendas of many key arms manufacturers.

If dealing with Climate change requires a more thoughtful form of consumer behaviour then so be it. Much of the technical change to begin is already within our grasp  - if national governments were to introduce a Domeday equivalent of auditing the best carbon reducing practices for each industry - we could already go a long step of the way to make significant carbon reductions - but it will need tremendous analytical energy, wisdom and commitment.....

Re directing military budgets like Trident would be rationale but then the nuclear weapon deploymentd ebate has never been rationale - successive governments are now justifying the decisions to repalce it on the absis of as yet unforseen future threats. Tryng to estimate the statistics of deadly effects of climate change is fraught since we do not know how much of a discontinuity we are facing and how sudden its onset might be. People are now dying in the South in places like Africa and Bangladesh but one estimate suggests a billion refugees will be on the move either creating internal displacement or attempting to cross international borders. We can antivcipate staes in Europe deploying increasingly coercive measures to prevent those flows given how altruistic most populations have now been persuaded to feel about all asylum seekers iN Europe..

My own research si looking at the area denial technologies now being developed by many Nortehrn states and my outlook was quite frankly bleak. I had toyed with the idea that all regions should now begin to think of sanctuary areas where the could channel mass displacemenst but without much optimism. Then alst week I attended an IPRA conference where a young researcher from india presented an analysis of how India has dealt with an influx of 20million people from bangkladesh without papers... The outcome seems to be quite constructive since the Indian authorities have desgigned areas to take these numbers where they can temporarily farm, and not be in conflict with lovcal people. Twenty million is about the combined populations of Seaden, Denmark, Norway and more....So if it has happened it is possible. Perhaps we should look to the South on how they are dealing with such issues now in a relatively enlightened way?

Steve

-----Original Message-----
From: Discussion list for the Crisis Forum [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of CHRIS KEENE
Sent: 20 July 2008 19:06
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: We Speak for Gaia, Deal with It

Thanks Joe, what I meant was that unless voters are in favour of
something, the politicians won't do it.  But that might be wrong- after
all most people support capital punishment, but politicians have been
principled enough to avoid it.

I was at a seminar on the political acceptability of personal carbon
trading last week, and Matthew Lockwood of the Institute for Public
Policy Research said that politicians can take a lead, but not in the
face of 80-90% public opposition.  So, I guess you have to appeal to
people's inner goodness, simply to get a sufficient number to back the
politicians when they make difficult choices

Chris