Help for NEW-MEDIA-CURATING Archives

NEW-MEDIA-CURATING Archives

NEW-MEDIA-CURATING@JISCMAIL.AC.UK

NEW-MEDIA-CURATING Home

NEW-MEDIA-CURATING  July 2008

NEW-MEDIA-CURATING July 2008

fwd: Call for paperes: International symposium (New) Media Art in Museums

darko fritz <[log in to unmask]>

darko fritz <[log in to unmask]>

Sun, 20 Jul 2008 13:30:25 +0200

International symposium
(NEW) MEDIA ART IN MUSEUMS
production – keeping – presentation
15 – 17 October 2008

Call for papers
deadline:  20 August 2008

The Museum of Modern and Contemporary Art in Rijeka organizes the
international symposium (New) Media Art in Museums that will be held
15 – 17 October 2008 at the City Hall in Rijeka.

Expert Scientific Committee:
dr Goran Zlodi, FF, Zagreb
Marija Gattin, MSU, Zagreb
Dalibor Martinis, APU, Zagreb

Organisational Committee:
Nataša Ivančević, MMSU
Ljubica Dujmović Kosovac, MMSU
Daina Glavočić, MMSU
Darko Fritz, media artist, curator, Amsterdam
Dan Oki, media artist, profesor UMAS

THE AIM OF THE SYMPOSIUM
The aim of the international symposium (New)Media Art in Museums is
to consider status of (new)media art in museum collections,
conditions of keeping, protection, modes of exhibiting and all the
changes that (new) media art  introduces into the everyday practice
of contemporary museums.

Special attention will be paid to the specifics regarding production
and rights that evolve from interrelations between museum – author
– agency – certified producer. By employing the main subject: What
are new media? – the symposium will thematically process temporal
definition, production, keeping and presenting of (new)media art, as
well as artistic features and influences that new media and digital
technologies exert on contemporary museum presentation practice.

SPHERES AND MAIN SUBJECTS
new media and cultural heritage
production / artwork
the diversity of museum material and the status of (new)media
artworks in museum collections
the conditions of keeping and the modes of exhibiting
the museum in a role of producer, risks, rights and duties,
experiences and prognoses
the influence of technological development on museum institutions,
interaction between (new)media – institution - artists
global information system and museums

Detail information on symposium:
By organizing the symposium (New)Media Art in Museums we wish to
stimulate colleagues from the museum profession and artists towards
reflection, writing and discussion on interesting and actual subject
of new and digital media, the various means in which the latter are
implemented into museum activities and art creation, as well as their
influence in forming the views on contemporary world.

The symposium's subject is defined, yet opened towards problematizing
the experiences and insights from both theory and practice.

We take special interest in the present state of artworks from the
countries  of the symposium's participants, as well as in
institutional interest and actual artists. We hope for the high
number of participants  as it will enable us to develop discussion,
provide practical examples and create conditions for quality
comparison. We wish to reach conclusions on situation both within the
region and globally.

We take special interest in discussing the following subjects:
-          relation between media and museums
-          the percentage of representation of (new)media works in
the specialized museums of visual art
-          institutions' relation  to (new)media museum items
-          author's rights (author and collaborators...)
-          relation between original and copy (the number of copies,
ethics)
-          conservatorial procedures that are applied when a (new)
media artwork is endangered due to a process in which it happens to
be (keeping, outdated technology)

Abstracts, papers:
Besides five invited international experts we expect applications
from  museum professionals, artists and other interested experts from
Croatia and abroad.
We shall accept only the original, unpublished papers, previously not
presented in public.
Accepted works, presented at the symposium, will be published (with
abstracts in English language) in both a printed and a CD-ROM edition
by MMSU in 2009. The expositions will be presented orally, along with
multimedia presentation.

Official symposium languages are Croatian and English (with
simultaneous translation).
The application including personal data, a subject's title and an
abstract (up to 200 words) should be sent not later than 20 August
2008  by either:
- mail at MMSU, Dolac 1/II, 51000 Rijeka (with a designation FOR
SYMPOSIUM) or
- email at [log in to unmask] (with a designation  FOR SMYPOSIUM).

Detail information on the symposium's program
can be found at http://www.mmsu.hr/.
Final program of the symposium will be announced not later than 22
September 2009

Site of the symposium
City Hall, City Government edifice , Korzo 16, Rijeka

Participation fee
For the participants from Croatia:
600,00 kuna – both conference days (15 – 16 October 2008)
300,00 kuna – students and pensioners (both conference days)
300,00 kuna – single conference day (15 or 16 October 2008)

Payments into bank account Museum of Modern and Contemporary Art,
Erste Steiermäkische bank Rijeka, 2402006-1100260512, ref. no. 01
10-2008
designation: "kotizacija za simpozij"
not later than 26 September 2008

For the international participants:
90 EUR – both symposium days (15 -16 October 2008)
45 EUR – students and pensioners (both conference days)
45 EUR – single conference day (15 or 16 October 2008)

Participation fee should be paid into account:  Erste Steiermäkische
bank Rijeka
HR 1324020061100260512
The optional program on 17 October 2008: an expert excursion to
Istria (a price shall be defined according to the number of applicants)

Accommodation:
info, hotel registration, payments: agency  RiAk Tours, 51000 Rijeka,
Verdijeva 4-6
tel ++ 385 (0)51 312-312, 331-015, fax 312 333
                         [log in to unmask]; http://www.ri-
ak-tours.hr/

MMSU contacts
Secretary: [log in to unmask]
[log in to unmask]; [log in to unmask];

e-mail: [log in to unmask]
phone: 00385 (0)51 492 612, 492 611
Muzej moderne i suvremene umjetnosti / Museum of Modern and
Contemporary Art
Dolac 1/II, 51000 Rijeka, Croatia
e-mail: [log in to unmask]
http://www.mmsu.hr/

We look forward to your response and participation!