MCG  July 2008

MCG July 2008

Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Log In

Get Password

Re: Jakob Nielsen says '"Unique Visitors" Must Die'

"martyn.farrows.lexara.com" <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 3 Jul 2008 12:29:58 +0100

text/plain

Responding to this point:

"Specifically, how people want us to present collections online, and
whether a wholesale approach to 'Web 2.0' type applications like UGC is
really justified without a clear purpose, audience and justification in
mind."

We've been doing a lot of research with educational audiences recently
through the DTI-funded Project Silver (http://www.silvereducation.org/).
We've done a number of focus groups with teachers (and are starting to do
some with students - the project has a couple of years left to run).

So far, the feedback has shown:

- teachers want access to raw assets from trusted and recognised
collections (images, audio, video) that are contextualised to some degree
(with captioning, metadata, etc)
- they want to be able to use tools to 'personalise' these assets to fit
their own teaching requirements
- they want to be able to do this in an environment that fits the
infrastructure they have to live with at school and home (i.e. online tools
that integrate with school learning platforms)

It's obviously a specific audience with a clear purpose, but it does
indicate an appetite for web 2.0-type tools that support 'UGC', albeit
built on an existing base of knowledge.  The key is establishing the
trusted content 'feeds' into the web2.0 tools that can can support this
usage in education.

Hope this helps

Martyn