Help for LIS-UKEIG Archives

LIS-UKEIG Archives

LIS-UKEIG@JISCMAIL.AC.UK

LIS-UKEIG Home

LIS-UKEIG  July 2008

LIS-UKEIG July 2008

_Science in the 21st Century: Science, Society, and Information Technology_ Conference

Gerry Mckiernan <[log in to unmask]>

UKEIG: the UK eInformation Group

Sun, 13 Jul 2008 15:44:00 -0500

Colleagues/

A Very-Timely, Most Important Conference Will Be Held September 8-12
2008 in Waterloo, Canada at the Perimeter Institute for Theoretical
Physics

_Science in the 21st Century: Science, Society, and Information
Technology_

Times are changing. In the earlier days, we used to go to the library,
today we search and archive our papers online. We have collaborations
per email, hold telephone seminars, organize virtual networks, write
blogs, and make our seminars available on the internet. Without any
doubt, these technological developments influence the way science is
done, and they also redefine our relation to the society we live in.
Information exchange and management, the scientific community, and the
society as a whole can be thought of as a triangle of relationships, the
mutual interactions in which are becoming increasingly important.

TOPICS

Web/Web 2.0.

Communication, Social and Information Networks, Wikis, Blogs,
Information Overflow, and the Illusion of Knowledge
Globalization

Collaboration and Competition in the Scientific Community, the Global
Village, the Limits of Growth, Science and Democracy
Open Access

Scientific Publishing, Science Journalism, Framing, and the
'Marketplace of Ideas'
Sociology

Ethics, Morals, Trends, and Their Impact on Scientific Directions,
Organization of Our Communities, Fragmentation, Feedback, Selection, and
the Ivory Tower.

Miscellaneous and Other

Teaching, Information Storage, Resilience and the Next Generation

Major Thinkers/Doers Are Scheduled to Present Including John Willinsky,
 Paul Ginsparg,  Andrew Odlyzko, Barry Wellman,  Katy Börner, and
Michael Nielsen  (Among Several Others).

I Have Blogged The Conference At

[
http://scholarship20.blogspot.com/2008/07/science-in-21st-century-science-society.html
]

OR

[ http://tinyurl.com/6ll8fb ]

The Blog Entry Includes The Program Content & Schedule As Well As Links

ABSTRACTS

PARTICIPANTS

REGISTRATION

HOST

Regards,

/Gerry

Gerry McKiernan
Associate Professor
Science and Technology Librarian
Iowa State University Library
Ames IA 50011

There is Nothing More Powerful Than  An Idea Whose Time Has Come
Victor Hugo
[ http://www.blogger.com/profile/09093368136660604490 ]

Iowa: Where the Tall Corn Flows and the (North)West Wind Blows ...
[ http://alternativeenergyblogs.blogspot.com/ ]