Help for BRITARCH Archives

BRITARCH Archives

BRITARCH@JISCMAIL.AC.UK

BRITARCH Home

BRITARCH  July 2008

BRITARCH July 2008

Re: Lethbridge (was Amazing new geophysical techniques)

Archive of AS Pottery Stamps <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 10 Jul 2008 10:54:48 +0100

Oh don't be unkind to Tom Lethbridge -- he was a jolly good archaeologist
even if he did have a few weird ideas in later life.

On a more serious note, it may be of interest that Lethbridge's entire
archive has been donated to the University of Cambridge by its owner. This
includes (I think) almost all his site diaries and plans as well as
paintings and other manuscripts, etc (over 800 items). I understand this
happened quite recently and so it may not all be catalogued as yet.

It was an extremely generous gesture by the man who was not an
archaeologist, but who rescued the archive from a skip and spent a lot of
time and money conserving it and giving it a home.

I would like to thank him publicly and to wish that other archaeologists
would ensure that their archives are preserved for the future instead of
leaving them to rot in potting sheds and attics.

Yours ever
Diana

Diana C. Briscoe
Archive of Anglo-Saxon Pottery Stamps