Re: the opposite definition

Eduardo Corte Real <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 24 Jun 2008 10:46:16 +0100

Dear Juris, Amanda

For me, the fact that an Italian School such as the Politecnico Milano has a
School called Facoltá del Design is of major importance. The Italians had a
word Disegno and, nevertheless, choose to call that school "Design" even for
internal purposes. My school had to fight with the Portuguese Ministry of
Education because there was a foreign word in its title! Older Schools in
Brazil like ESDI use the word "Desenho" whilst more recent units call
themselves Departamento de Artes & Design as in the Rio's PUC.  Having an
authorized Higher Education institution with "Design" in it represents the
maximum institutionalisation of the word, I guess. The good thing about
saying Design in Portuguese is that you don't have a verb complicating the
meaning nor the other meanings of design such as "desire to be accomplished".
We have a similar word that is different from Desenho: Designío (meaning
whish) and other Designado (designated). You English compressed all this
words in one. In the early 1600's Robert Cawdrey's Alphabetic Table
(probably the first English Dictionary) listed three words: " [fr] deseigne:
an appoynting how any; deseignment: thing shall be done.  designe, to marke
out, or appoint for any purpose. In Nathan Bailey's early 1700's dictionary
all these words disappeared and all their meanings were absorbed by the word
Design. It is worth to study this evolution because Design is clearly a
Modern word created to emulate the Ancient's Knowledge and becomes a key
word of Modernity and won its institutional globalization in Post-Modern
days (after WWII).

I really don't know if we are dealing with the genie or Pandora's box. Like
any Hugo Pratt's Corto Maltese fans, I like Pandora best.

Cheers,

Eduardo