DC-RDA  June 2008

DC-RDA June 2008

Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Log In

Get Password

Re: New RDA Vocabularies available (plus other info)

Karen Coyle <[log in to unmask]>

List for discussion on Resource Description and Access (RDA)

Thu, 12 Jun 2008 07:47:28 -0700

text/plain

Thank you Owen! these is all the questions I've had but you've gone
through them more thoroughly.

 > Interesting though all this discussion is, I'm not clear how it moves us
 > forward. The discussion developed out of Pete's question about using
 > 'concept' as opposed to other types for the vocabularies. I'm trying to
 > get my head round a lot of this for the first time, so apologies if this
 > is just wrong, but as far as I can see SKOS essentially works with
 > 'concepts' - there aren't any other choices, so as long as we are using
 > SKOS for vocabularies, we are using concepts - have I missed something
 > here? SKOS seems appropriate for this kind of limited vocabulary
 > listing. However, it would seem inappropriate to try to use it for
 > persons or corporate bodies (and possibly other complex knowledge). As
 > far as I can see, noone has suggested this so far?

Owen, we are only using SKOS for the value vocabularies, not the RDA
"elements". The question Pete brought up was whether we consider RDA
term lists like "base material" to be concepts or "things". At this
point, I think that separating the many and varied RDA value lists into
those that are concepts and those that are things would be very
difficult (I'm sure we'd find one that is a combination of the two!), so
my preference is to code them all in SKOS for now (we have a deadline)
so that RDA work can move forward.

kc

--
[log in to unmask] http://www.kcoyle.net