Re: Security of Moodle Data

Kenji Lamb <[log in to unmask]>

UK Moodle Users JISCmail list <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 11 Jun 2008 11:42:26 +0100

Doesn't this have something to do with where you place your moodledata
folder on the server?

;-)

Kenji Lamb
RSC Scotland North & East

-----Original Message-----
From: UK Moodle Users JISCmail list [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On
Behalf Of Denis Featherstone
Sent: 11 June 2008 11:28
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Security of Moodle Data

Hi,

One of my colleagues has just pointed out that it is possible to access
users' pictures in Moodle without logging on to the system.  This can be
done if you know the exact URL for the picture in question.

This raises two questions in my mind:

1)	How much of Moodle can be accessed without having to login?

2)	Does any of this affect our responsibilities under the Data
Protection Act?

My first impression is that the pictures could be a problem even if it
is not possible to link them with any other user data.

Denis Featherstone
VLE Developer
Hertford Regional College
Telephone: 01992 411727

The information in this email is confidential. It is intended solely for the
addressee and access to this email by anyone else is unauthorised. Any views
or opinions presented are solely those of the author and do not necessarily
reflect those of Hertford Regional College. If you are not the intended
recipient, any disclosure, copying, distribution or any action taken or
omitted is prohibited and may be unlawful. If you received this email in
error, please notify the Network Manager at Hertford Regional College on
+44(01992) 411400