Re: It's Keystrokes All the Way Down

Ept <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 26 Jun 2008 13:53:28 +0100

text/plain

All,

Talat and others are having problems encouraging acceptance of OA benefits.
I'd just like to make a couple of points from the information-starved parts
of the world:

- Sure, some IRs are not very full yet. But the usage of those that are
filling is spectacular. Please take a look at the EPT Blog posting of March
26th http://epublishingtrust.blogspot.com/2008_03_01_archive.html and click
on some of the listed IRs using stats packages. This blog message is geared
towards usage by developing countries and it is very encouraging - but of
course usage by the 'more aware' user communities, as well as usage of some
of the 'fuller' IRs will be greater. So as papers are deposited and made OA,
there's a lot of usage going on out there, as these stats packages are now
demonstrating.

- I don't understand the resistance by a few of Talat's university authors
to 'mandates'. When a scientist is employed to do research by the
university, there is a 'requirement' to do research. If the research arising
from public funding is good enough, there is a 'requirement' to publish it
in order to advance both global research and the status of the funding
organisation. There is now a possibility to share research
findings far more widely and gain greater recognition both personally and
institutionally, so the author's employer/funder requires that this be done
too. What
is the problem? I rate this 'core to the job'.

- an obvious third point - if you work with researchers in countries who can
afford maybe NO journals (see Peter Suber's recent blog on UNESCO's
re-stated report  which says, 'in countries with annual incomes of US$1000
and less per person, 56% of institutions surveyed had no current
subscriptions to international journals'), it is clear that OA is the only
route to creating equality of access to knowledge and solving many of the
world's problems.

An incentive that worked in India was presented at a Bangalore workshop: 'I
asked my head of department for travel support to present a paper. He asked
if I had deposited the paper in the IR. I said no. He said, no travel
support. I deposited the paper, I later got invitations to more
international meetings, got travel support and met new colleagues . .'

With the kind of attitudes Talat reports, I applaud the approach and hard
work that Christine so rightly advocates.

Barbara Kirsop
Electronic Publishing Trust for Development