Re: Design - Innovation

Klaus Krippendorff <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 23 May 2008 01:48:58 -0400

terry,
so you see the designer as a draftsman or specification writer working
within a legal contract.  and for you good design is one that complies with
legal expectations and bad design that violates legal expectation.  since
this is a novel way to define design, do i understand you right?
klaus

-----Original Message-----
From: PhD-Design - This list is for discussion of PhD studies and related
research in Design [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Terence
Love
Sent: Thursday, May 22, 2008 11:38 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: FW: Design - Innovation

Hi Lars,
One very simple yet powerfully useful distinction is that 'a design' is a
component of a legal contract describing the detail of part of an agreed
arrangement. A design specifies how something is to be done. The activity of
designing, design practice,  is simply producing 'designs' that have this
legal role. That is also the primary difference betrween 'good' designs and
'bad' designs. They provide a response to a brief that will stand up to
legal scrutiny as a component of a contract.
Best regards,
Terry
____________________
Dr. Terence Love, FRDS, AMIMechE
Design-focused Research Group, Design Out Crime Research Group Associate
Researcher at Digital Ecosystems and Business Intelligence Institute
Research Associate,  Planning and Transport Research Centre Curtin
University, PO Box U1987, Perth, Western Australia 6845
Mob: 0434 975 848, Fax +61(0)8 9305 7629, [log in to unmask] Engineering,
Edith Cowan University Perth, Western Australia Visiting Professor, Member
of Scientific Council UNIDCOM/ IADE, Lisbon, Portugal

Visiting Research Fellow, Institute of Entrepreneurship and Enterprise
Development Management School, Lancaster University, Lancaster, UK