Models of author/owner-ship

Simon Biggs <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 14 May 2008 10:40:49 +0100

The AHRC treats everyone like a nobody, really. It is the way the system is
setup. With a 14% success rate and a peer review system that rewards the
recognisable over the unconventional it is not surprising that an artist
like Armin feels dejected. He is also right in his comments on what a
metrics based system would do for practice based research. It would be
devastating.

The question of IP ownership in this economy is a good one. Very little
research in academia is done by one person. Even artistic practice based
research, over recent years, has seen a move to collaborative team based
working. In the sciences it is quite normal for the university to claim IP
rights over new knowledge or to develop shared ownership models if ideas and
inventions are spun out into industry. As yet I am not aware of this having
happened in the creative arts...but I can see it coming. Why should the
creative arts be treated any differently? Is there any difference in the
nature of authorship, and thus ownership, between physics and sculpture?

I guess this brings us back to the original theme of the month.

Simon Biggs

Research Professor
edinburgh college of art
www.eca.ac.uk