Help for NAMHE Archives

NAMHE Archives

NAMHE@JISCMAIL.AC.UK

NAMHE Home

NAMHE  May 2008

NAMHE May 2008

PALATINE ASSESSING DOCTORATES: SEEKING YOUR HELP

"Pearson, David" <[log in to unmask]>

National Association for Music in Higher Education Network <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 7 May 2008 14:35:36 +0100

Dear Colleague

Currently, there is much debate surrounding the nature and purpose of
the doctorate and the various types of "product" submitted for
assessment.  The PALATINE Assessing Doctorates project is mapping
existing guidelines and practice in dance, drama and music.  In order to
explore the unique challenges faced in our disciplines, we aim to
identify current patterns and trends in doctoral assessment practices.
We hope that our findings will facilitate debate within the dance, drama
and music communities about the extent to which current assessment
practices fit with the nature of doctoral work in our disciplines.

We would be grateful if you could respond to the two questions below,
or, if you prefer, forward this message to a relevant colleague in your
department or school.

The deadline for responses is 30 May 2008.

1.  Does your department or school provide any subject-specific written
guidance to postgraduate research students to help them prepare for the
submission and assessment of their work?  If you would be willing to
share this information with PALATINE, we would be very grateful if you
could attach the relevant documents with your reply and/or a URL if the
guidance is publicly available online.  Alternatively, feel free to post
documents to me at the address below.

PALATINE will respect any restrictions placed on the material provided.

2.  In your institution, what forms can a doctoral submission take other
than a written thesis?

Further information about the project:
http://www.palatine.ac.uk/projects/1317/

Best wishes and many thanks

David

Dr David Pearson
Research Associate

Assessing Doctorates
PALATINE
The Round House
Lancaster University
LANCASTER
LA1 4YW

Tel +44 (0)1524 593579
Fax +44 (0)1524 593071
www.palatine.ac.uk

PALATINE (Performing Arts Learning and Teaching Innovation Network) is
the Higher Education Academy Subject Centre for Dance, Drama and Music