Re: PhD studentships at Kent

Philip Brown <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 27 May 2008 13:07:00 +0100

Apologies here are 2 of the studentships attached.

> We have a number of possible  PhD studentships, up to 5 in total:
>
> 1)EPSRC PhD studentship
> Modelling the spatio-temporal distribution of Sumatran tigers and their
> prey.(details attached)
>
> 2) EPSRC CASE PhD studentship in STATISTICS: University of Kent.
> Statistical analysis and modelling of benthic data (details attached).
>
> We also have upto 3 studentships in the institute funded by EPSRC and the
> University. The  University ones may fund maintenance at least for EU
> students in addition to fees.
> One project offered is with data and links to co-supervisors in Pfizer and
> is in the area of Multivariate analysis (Detecting Drug effects using EEG
> data). Contact me for further details of this project.
> Philip Brown

EPSRC CASE PhD studentship in STATISTICS: University of Kent. Statistical analysis and modelling of benthic data ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Benthic organisms live on the seabed, and are largely sedentary. As a result, they are studied in order to monitor the effects of man-induced seabed disturbances, such as fishing and dredging. The quantitative investigation of benthic organisms is currently of great importance, with relevance for conservation and biodiversity. The research will involve the development and fitting of suitable probability models for the spatial distribution of individual species, and exploring links with acoustic (sonar) and appropriate covariate data. The collaborating body for this CASE award is the Centre for Environment, Fisheries and Aquaculture Science (Cefas), located in Lowestoft in Suffolk. The project will be jontly supervised by Jon Barry of Cefas, and Byron Morgan and Martin Ridout at Kent. The studentship is open to British and other EU students. Tuition fees would be paid for both groups. In addition, for British students the annual stipend is currently 16,600 pounds a year, but other EU students would only receive 3,000 pounds a year. The student should have a good first degree, and/or an MSc, in statistics, or mathematics in which statistics forms a prominent part, and will become a member of the EPSRC National Centre for Statistical Ecology, Closing date: 27th June, 2008. Application forms can be obtained from [log in to unmask] Further information can be provided by [log in to unmask] or [log in to unmask] **************************************************************************** ****************************************************************************
EPSRC PhD studentship Modelling the spatio-temporal distribution of Sumatran tigers and their prey. This studentship will explore in detail probability models for the detection and occupancy of tigers and their prey, taking account of environmental characteristics. Relevant models are complex, and their understanding and characteristics need to be properly elucidated. Models will be fitted to extensive data sets, obtained via the Durrell Institute of Conservation Ecology. The student should have a good first degree, and/or an MSc, in statistics, or mathematics in which statistics forms a prominent part, and will become a member of the EPSRC National Centre for Statistical Ecology. Fees will be met in full for students from the EU. The annual stipend is currently 13,600 pounds a year. CLosing date: 27th June, 2008. Application forms from [log in to unmask]; further information from [log in to unmask]