Re: Off campus access to e-resources

Allison Larkins <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 10 Apr 2008 16:33:02 +0100

Hello,

Back in March I e-mailed the list enquiring about your experiences of
accessing electronic resources from off campus and dealing with 'techy'
queries. I would like to thank every one who took the time to reply to
my e-mail. It's reassuring to know that I am not alone in dealing with
these type of problems!!

All replies were very informative and for the benefit of the list I have
summarised these below:

On the issue of off campus access:

*	Two institution have taken the EZProxy route. (The issue of the
negative effect on usage statistics was by-passed by receiving stats
direct from publishers.) One institutions has found that this has not
been the total solution as not all Athens resources are accessible
through EZProxy.

*	It was also suggested that a VPN (virtual private network) may
get around some of the problems, although users would need to have a
high degree of IT literacy.

*	Another institution provided a separate 'off-campus' access
page, which provided AthensDA activation instructions and links to all
available off campus resources (Athens and generic username & password)
for resources not accessed via Metalib.

On the issue of user support:

*	One institution provided detailed handouts on each resource
giving instructions on how to access content.

*	Whilst another institution provided screenshot based
instructions to walk users through the activation processes.

And finally on dealing with 'Techy' queries:

*	One institution gave general advice to users on how to check
their P.C./firewall/anti-virus software set up.

*	Two institutions advised students on how to delete cookies, &
allow pop ups

In light of this feedback we have decided to continue with the EZProxy
'solution'. Hopefully it will prove to be the right step, only time will
tell, but judging by the decrease in the number of off campus queries we
have received over the last few weeks it looks promising.

Regards,

Allison Larkins
Journals Librarian
University of Huddersfield