PHD-DESIGN  April 2008

PHD-DESIGN April 2008

Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Log In

Get Password

The problem of Design Research journals (was: Doctoral Disseminators)

Terence Love <[log in to unmask]>

Terence Love <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 3 Apr 2008 09:16:21 +0800

text/plain

Teena pointed to the need for PhD students and academics to publish in
journals - good quality journals.

This is a problem in Design Research.

There simply isn't enough journals.

Normal expectation per academic is 2-10 refereed publications per year.

My guess is there are around 10,000 academics worldwide in design research
in the 'Art and Design' disciplines, and these are around 5% of the total
design research fields.

That suggests around 200,000 publishing academic researchers across design
research worldwide.

At 2 papers each per year, that requires a publishing capacity in journals
of design research of 400,000 papers.

I suspect the current publishing  capacity of journals dedicated to design
research is less than 500 papers per year.

What happens now?

At the moment, many design researchers publish less than 2 papers per year.
Those that do publish, mainly publish in conferences and journals that are
not specific to design research. In terms of refereed publications for the
design research field, the role of conferences has been important to date.
Larger conferences can provide opportunities for 1000 or more refereed
publications each.

The difficulties of publishing in existing design research journals (~25%
acceptance rate)  appear to have led to a reluctance to submit to them and
instead to focus on conference papers.

There is now a  shift away from refereed conference papers. This is based
mainly on economics.  For a lecturer, a conference paper costs an
institution around $11,000 ($3000 preparation, $3000 time lost in attending
the conference and $5000 for the cost of the conference registration,
travel, accommodation etc). In contrast, a journal paper costs around $6000
and has more status and improved knowledge quality. Cost figures for
professorial staff are typically around double.

What is best for the future?

Open source journals such as the Journal of Design Research offer
opportunities, given a fast process and sufficient referees of good caliber.
There are opportunities for creating new journals, except there is not yet a
satisfactory  business model that funds the management of the journals
(though that cost gap between conferences and journals should free up some
cash - should!). More, there is increasing  pressure for publications to be
in 'A' grade journals and it takes a substantial amount of time for a
journal to get to that status.

Thoughts?

Best wishes,
Terry
____________________
Dr. Terence Love FDRS, AMIMechE
Design-focused Research Group, Design Out Crime Research Unit,
Associate Researcher at Digital Ecosystems and Business Intelligence
Institute
Research Associate at Planning and Transport Research Centre
Curtin University, PO Box U1987, Perth, Western Australia 6845
Mob: 0434 975 848 Fax +61(0)8 9305 7629 (home office) [log in to unmask]
Visiting Research Fellow, Institute of Entrepreneurship and Enterprise
Development
Management School, Lancaster University, Lancaster, UK.
Visiting Professor, Member of Scientific Council,
UNIDCOM/IADE, Lisbon, Portugal