MCG April 2008

Re: copyright licensing and museums

electronic museum <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 17 Apr 2008 17:30:50 +0100

All

I think this is a really interesting thread.

Understanding what value can be had from exposure is obviously key. There's
lots of evidence out there that getting more eyeballs to your
stuff (and accepting that some "stealing" will take place) is a much better
business model than hiding your assets away and people simply not getting to
it at all.

The evidence often clusters around PDFs downloads: see
http://torrentfreak.com/alchemist-author-pirates-own-books-080124/ where
Paulo Coelho, author of "The Alchemist" says this:

"In 2001, I sold 10,000 hard copies. And everyone was puzzled. We came from
zero, from 1000, to 10,000. And then the next year we were over 100,000. […]
I thought that this is fantastic. You give to the reader the possibility of
reading your books and choosing whether to buy it or not. […]
So, I went to BitTorrent and I got all my pirate editions… And I created a
site called The Pirate Coelho."

With the demise of music DRM apparently on the horizon, it's a hot topic
with the major music labels, too. Ian Rogers from Yahoo! wrote a fantastic
post with slides entitled "Losers wish for scarcity. Winners leverage
scale". I've written about this on my blog:
http://electronicmuseum.org.uk/2008/01/14/scarcity-vs-scale/ ...

What would be fantastic (if unlikely) would be if a museum or gallery agreed
to take part in a quantitative study: take one selection of images and hide
them away behind watermarking, DRM and thumbnails; take another and make
these widely and hugely available via Facebook, MySpace, Flickr, blogging,
etc. Offer both sets for purchase in hi-res, then sit back and measure over
a period of time. Common sense says that people will steal all the small
ones and not bother buying: increasing bodies of evidence show the opposite
is actually true.

I'd personally argue that once stuff is on the web, it's being "stolen"
anyway, so we can fight this or go with it and do what we can to encourage
sales off the back of the "scale". But I don't run a picture library so I'm
more than ready to put my neck on the line

So. Any museums going to step up to the "make it free" challenge? :-)

ta

Mike

electronic museum

..thoughts on museums, the social web, innovation

w: http://www.electronicmuseum.org.uk
f: http://electronicmuseum.wordpress.com/feed
e: [log in to unmask]